Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The unexpected? [Deons Genesis]  (Read 1538 times)

TicklemeFeather

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
    • TicklemeFTR's Simple G19 keyboard GUI
The unexpected? [Deons Genesis]
« on: August 28, 2011, 12:46:10 pm »

Was walking around on world map when suddenly i get the message.

You discover an exansive cavern deep underground.
You feel uneasy.

The game freezes for about 5 minutes, i spammed (l) look to see what was going on whist it was frozen. When i looked around the whole screen was covered in black bog! going up several hundred z levels. I let the game continue it froze again. seconds later i feel unconcious. Not knowing what happened as it all went rather fast i checked the announcements log. This is what it said:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Looking around i notice walls of ice aswell :S

DF as a game is the equivalent of sitting down and having a conversation with the homeless guy in the park who screams about flying children trying to rip his skin off.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: The unexpected? [Deons Genesis]
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 04:46:54 pm »

I did some searching on it, and nothing came up. The black bog/alien clacking is most likely Genesis-only stuff.

Therefore, unless this has happened to someone else, we have no clue as to what it is.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 09:44:09 pm »

Black bog is a soil in Genesis, I believe. Various explosions of the ground like this happen from time to time. When they do, everything obviously gets churned up, so the soil would end up in the air.

The walls of ice: There are a lot of fun vanilla issues with ice walls appearing and causing all sorts of mayhem, including explosions. What is the biome you are in like?
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 05:42:49 am »

Hell, that was awesome. It only happened to me in glaciers (ice shooting up). It's definitely an elusive bug (like adamantine spires) caused by a bug in map generator. Something like extreme cave in causing magma shooting up, and temperature values' errors causing walls' of ice appearance.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

TicklemeFeather

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
    • TicklemeFTR's Simple G19 keyboard GUI
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 10:31:17 am »

Well it was in a warm zone. Did some further testing in dwarf mode after copying my save, itd probably have something to do with the caverns splicing right through a major river/waterfall. Ive had these cavern problems before but nothing as exciting as that during adv mode.

Unfortunately I cant find the save anymore :(

On another note what creature creates the sound of "alien clack's" ?
DF as a game is the equivalent of sitting down and having a conversation with the homeless guy in the park who screams about flying children trying to rip his skin off.