Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: labyrinth  (Read 781 times)

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
labyrinth
« on: August 27, 2011, 09:16:36 pm »

if i make a giant labyrinth filled with traps will goblins actually get lost in it or will they know the right path due to the fact that npcs are cheatin bastards?

edit: totally didn't fix my spelling with the spell check, you saw nothing!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 09:18:38 pm by Xotano »
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: labrynth
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 09:18:11 pm »

The pathfinding algorithm magically tells them the shortest way through the maze.  Of course, that's where you can cheat and do things like have pressure plates trigger floor hatches and doors so the maze rearranges itself as they're trying to get out.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
Re: labyrinth
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 09:19:43 pm »

that sounds like fun actually, and it would be getting in or out :P
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 09:21:28 pm »

Even more fun, try to get through a changing maze with an adventurer. Traps optional.

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 09:23:54 pm »

if i make a giant labyrinth filled with traps will goblins actually get lost in it or will they know the right path due to the fact that npcs are cheatin bastards?

edit: totally didn't fix my spelling with the spell check, you saw nothing!
If you want the goblins to wander forever, make sure the labyrinth is seal, and make sure that all dead ends connect to a corridor. This will prevent the AI from avoiding certain places due to dead ends being there. 
Of course, you could seal it with a floodgate, and then open it whenever to want to add more/make renovations.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 02:42:36 am »

Making it difficult just wastes CPU on pathfinding.
Making it linear ensures that your traps are optimally placed too.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 10:08:21 am »

The point isn't to catch them (I think), it's to torture their feeble little rat-like minds.
[Signature]