Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pressurized plumbing....?  (Read 749 times)

Urist McMarsfyre

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Pressurized plumbing....?
« on: August 21, 2011, 08:15:46 pm »

I'm kind of new to the forums, so excuse me if someone's already mentioned this before. I know that water physics make it so that water can never rise above it's origional level, but wouldn't it be great if you could dig out sealed channels and resivoirs (and maybe give a good use for constructed pipes) and combine them with pumps to pressurize water? Kitchens/hospitals/bedrooms with running water controlled by shut off valves (i.e. floodgates/hatches)?
Any thoughts? Has anyone managed to simulate this with current physics/complex mechanics?

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
Re: Pressurized plumbing....?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 10:01:40 pm »

I thought water was pressurized and could do this under the right circumstances. If it can't, then I'd say it's only because there isn't enough pressure that could be made using the current mechanics/nature.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 11:56:58 pm »

We can't make pressure using pumps, except for making a water tower using pump stacks.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 02:14:48 pm »

That's what I meant.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 08:13:27 pm »

It's called builidng a Water Tower.  I;ve yet to do it myself.. too much potential for Fun for me at this juncture.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 10:46:25 pm »

Indeed, a water tower is pretty much the only way, with medieval technology, to produce static water pressure.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 01:23:07 pm »

Screw pumps, that is, their real counterparts, can't inherently pressurize -- if you fill a chamber above them, the water will just flow back down -- but they don't totally cull pressure, either -- the water on top should have the same pressure as the water on the bottom, if both are full.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Stormcloudy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 01:31:08 pm »

I would like to have sinks and tubs that have smaller valves, so that my running water is regulated to a single bucketful or unit-full, because my dwarves never move quickly enough to cut off a pressurized water source to keep from drowning the fort.

qoou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 06:20:10 pm »

As others have said, a watertower is all you need. Just make a pumpstack that stretches to several z levels above ground level, and bam, you have pressure. Just make sure to not put too much pressure in your "faucets", or you may not be able to turn them off in time.