Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caged births?  (Read 540 times)

Jemeni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caged births?
« on: August 26, 2011, 02:24:09 am »

Hey reading the wiki, I read that animals cannot give birth while in a cage. Yet my game just laughed at that and now I have a few cage traps with baby camels and horses.

Did I just read that wrong or something? Or was that only for tamed animals?

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
Re: Caged births?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 03:03:37 am »

If the female is already pregnant, they'll still give birth while caged. A creature can not become pregnant while caged, though.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Jemeni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 12:00:08 pm »

Ahh ok. That explains a bit thanks for that info.

MisterB777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 12:06:54 pm »

I've been wondering about this, actually.  I captured a bunch of wild Muskoxen in cages.  It took a couple years (yes, years) but the females started giving birth.  Turned out a trade caravan (elves) had had a male Muskox that was not caged, and took the time to spoor the map.  Quite odd, though an excellent source of renewable meat without having to farm or feed it (since they're wild, they don't eat).

Jemeni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 02:36:42 pm »

I'm going to look into this some more, because I find it hard to believe that all of the females in my traps were pregnant before they got captured(yea like 20 wild animals invader animals gave birth in cages)