Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can I overwrite the raw\objects entity_default of an existing region folder...?  (Read 564 times)

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile

...Or will my game crash when I try to load the world? I want to alter the ethics of Dwarf society and I'm using the map with the first Adamantinus Turris.

Mikey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Overwriting raws can definitely cause a crash, if for example the new raws specify materials that weren't defined in the originals, or lack materials that the original raws were using.

While changing ethics won't hurt anything, most anything you do with entities will not take effect without a new world gen.  See the stickied thread (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=29157.0) for what kinds of raw changes need a regen.

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile

Make sure you understand that I'm speaking of changing the region's objects. There are two in DF, the data\\objects and raw\\objects. I'm changing my data\save\region1\raw\objects to be positively exact. The absolute and only thing I've changed are Dwarven ethics, making near everything acceptable. How will/not this affect my game?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff

It will have no effect.  When the world is generated, civilizations are created based on the entity raw files.  After world generation, changes to the entity raws have no effect.  Other raw changes can have an effect, but changing the ethics of your civilization won't do anything.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile

Roger.  ;D Thanks for your info.