Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dungeons: the Dragoning 40,000 - 7th Edition  (Read 5481 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons: the Dragoning 40,000 - 7th Edition
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 12:42:08 pm »

It's a viable game, but is it any fun? If so, I'll have to run it across my cousin. It would certainly make game night a bit more interesting.
Nothing important here, move along.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 02:07:37 pm »

I'm yet unsure of gameplay, but character creation is pretty fun. I'm currently building a character I'm going to refer to as DracoStalin, LordParty Secretary of Stabbing Your Face, but who has a slightly less silly actual name. I may also build CyberHitler the Dakkamensch, just to expand my range of tyrannical ultradictators to choose from.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 02:57:35 am »

I'm in the process of cooking up a Demonhost character.The plan is to buy a wraithbone heart as a starting artifact (roll twice on perils of the warp, choose result), buy the pride demon asset (+5 on competitive rolls and flavor) and specialize in explode-y magic (pew-pew!). He'll be an unsanctioned mage (stronger, riskier over-channeling) who is convinced that his implanted heart has granted him full dominance over the demon within, rendering himself invincible. Then he will over-channel every single spell in order to deliberately aim for perils-of-the-warp-level botches and try to use the heart's ability to get a result that cooks everyone standing near him without damaging himself.

Then watch the party's slow slide into madness as the warp is laid bare before them.

Then go insane from the constant warp exposure.

If I've got this right, I'll be throwing two to three times as many dice as most mage opponents will be willing (or possibly able) to put into casting, constantly forcing mental trauma rolls and other fun stuff from perils of the warp and generally having a good time. And once that's all done he'll go insane and can be the new arc villan! I still need to finish up the build, but I'll probably post a sheet if the thread is still alive by then.
... and then it explodes!

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 03:23:13 am »

Okay. Apparently, without having a weapon skill, YOU CANNOT ATTACK.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 03:54:28 am »

Ahahaha, I remember seeing that thread. It came out right on April Fools', and everyone was convinced it was some joke until a daring soul downloaded the file and read through it.

Never tried playing it myself, though.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 07:18:35 am »

I'm flipping through the rulebook and noticed that Paragon exalted don't seem to have a tier 1 ability. Am I missing something here, or are they just too cool for basic powers?

The song only has four lines, that's why.  It's good enough to make up for not having a tier 1 ability, since Paragons looks pretty good anyway.

I couldn't get through more than most of character creation and a couple Exalts, but I'm already in love with this.  A brutally butchered mashup of D&D4 and Dark Heresy should not make this much sense put in writing.  Actually it doesn't - there's quite a few gaps and ambiguity in the character creation process (how many negative traits can you take?), and actually following the process requires a lot of page turning.  I really have to call fault on the game's claim that you won't have to repeatedly consult the rules in-play.

Then again, I can give a lot of leeway to a game that manages to make such a seemless combination of two worn out jokes like that Lord of the Rings page, or arrives at such a concordantly elegant system of stat and skill point allocation.  Pity the creator has obviously moved on, since he hasn't updated since May.  I'm on board for actually trying to play this trainwreck if anyone else wants in - Human Paragon Swordsman at the ready.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 07:37:32 am »

I've still got to get a copy I can read. As to his leaving it alone... He made an update in July, and is apparently in the heavy writing stage.

Once I do get a copy, I could try running a game with this trainwreck....must be good experience for a beginner GM to run a game that's not going to work at all well, smoothly, or indeed maybe at all.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 08:22:52 am »

What? Paragon Exalted? Perils of the Warp? Wraithbone? This thread............... oww, my brain hurts. Why, what?

In Summary:
BUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHH???

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 10:15:14 am »

Actually it doesn't - there's quite a few gaps and ambiguity in the character creation process (how many negative traits can you take?), and actually following the process requires a lot of page turning.  I really have to call fault on the game's claim that you won't have to repeatedly consult the rules in-play.

This. If I have a giant chunk of free time, I might try reorganizing some of it. Stuff is scattered so bad it's not even funny. Incidentally, the answer is two; it's under Hindrances on page 120.

And yeah, apparently you can't attack without the skill. The rules say to make a characteristic check if you have no skill, but since no characteristic applies, you roll 0k0. The way you are to arrive at this conclusion boggles the mind, but really it's just a change to the rules they forgot to propagate two sentences backward.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 10:18:39 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 11:02:51 am »

Aw man, as soon as I saw the title I knew it had to be mine.  I can't get the link working to download the current version, is there a problem with the server?

Edit: Mediafire is working again, its so awesome!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 11:21:55 am by drkpaladin »

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2011, 07:13:23 pm »

Bauglir, once we start doing testing to rival the Manhattan project a bit of playtesting, we can find out which rules work best, how to get the game running smoothly, that sort of thing. I've already got a nice plot together thanks to the adventure hooks and some creative thinking.
Pages: 1 [2]