Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No iron ores in ANY embarks.  (Read 1455 times)

brigg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
No iron ores in ANY embarks.
« on: August 23, 2011, 08:05:59 pm »

Hey fellow dwarfs, I've recently started playing Dwarf Fortress through the LazyNewb pack.

The problem is, every embark I encounter has absolutely no iron (Hematite, Magnetite, and Limonite). Now I know I can play without and use goblinite and trades but it still gets on my nerves.

When choosing my worlds I make sure I have shallow metals,deep + flux but still unable to find the ores.

PS I use prospector and DFhack reveal to check before I tested it with 5 embarks to see if they contained iron.

Thanks

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
Re: No iron ores in ANY embarks.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 08:14:21 pm »

Reduce mineral scarcity to about 1000 before wold gen. You will find more ores and less gems if I recall correctly.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

brigg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 08:26:40 pm »

Reduce mineral scarcity to about 1000 before wold gen. You will find more ores and less gems if I recall correctly.

Sorry but how do I go about this? I know that when creating a new world I can reduce it to scarcity but 1000? dont understand

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 08:30:21 pm »

KtosoX is referring to the advanced world gen option for mineral scarcity. If you are generating a world using the basic method in which you can choose options for about five or six things trying setting the mineral scarcity to be frequent or everywhere. If you're using the advanced world generator setting it to around 750-1250 seems adequate for most people.

brigg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 09:14:51 pm »

KtosoX is referring to the advanced world gen option for mineral scarcity. If you are generating a world using the basic method in which you can choose options for about five or six things trying setting the mineral scarcity to be frequent or everywhere. If you're using the advanced world generator setting it to around 750-1250 seems adequate for most people.

Hey there, made a few worlds with the recommendations but still no cigar. I even uped it over 2000 but still no iron. :/

brigg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 09:17:06 pm »

Able to generate in this current world, great sucess. Looks like the Advanced gen did do its charm. Thank you

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 09:20:38 pm »

Check out the layers on embark. Sandstone, I believe, is more likely to contain Native Copper than iron, so don't head there.
Try to embark on a Volcano that has granite near the surface, and make Bronze until you can hit a vein.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 09:35:52 pm »

I use the "basic" world parameter screen, and usually get decent results when I set the mineral scarcity to Frequent (one to the right, instead of the default center value).

When picking your embark site, try for surface (and/or deep) metals to maximize the number of ores you will find.  If it only lists metal (not plural, metals) then there will only be one type of ore at that depth.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"