Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make workshops tiered, and require progressively advanced ingredients to build  (Read 1135 times)

Encyclopath

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Cross-posted from the mod forum, after learning that this can't simply be modded in

For most workshops, I find the material ingredients to be far too simple. I'd like to modify them all to be more along the lines of the Forge, or Dyer's shop, and require multiple (3-6) components to construct, ie:

Kitchen: 3 stone/logs/bars/, carving knife/fork, large pot, 2 jugs, table, chest

To take it one step further, I'd some of these components to be new items I would add, i.e.:

Carpenter's Shop: 3 stone/logs/bars/, wood saws, carpentry hammer, lathe
Jeweler's workshop:  3 stone/logs/bars/ , monocle, calipers, jeweler's saws, lapidary
Mason's workshop: 3 stone/logs/bars, Stone mallet, chisel set

With this sort of setup, one will either need to embark with tools they'll need to construct workshops they need immediately, or manufacture them en sito in a tiered fashion :
Tier 0: rock hammers, bone saws, stone knifes, etc would be "tier 0" tools that could be assembled from hunting and gathering tasks.
Tier 1 shops (kilns, furnaces, tanners, butcher, fishery) could be assembled using tier 0 tools, which in turn could produce tier 1 tools: ceramic jugs and pots, anvils, needles, sinew
At this stage, tier 2 shops could be built: (kitchen, leatherworkers, carpenter, ashery, masons forge,) that produce more advanced tier 2 tools and components like spinning wheels, looms, tables, chests, chisels, augers, saws, shears, pliers, barrels, buckets, bins...
Those tier 2 components would be needed to build more advanced and complex tier 3 shops that require well crafted tools ( mechanics, millstone/quern, craftdwaft workshop, clothiers, still, farmers shop, loom, dyers shop
Finally, the highest tier 4 shops would require the products of possibly all tiers beneath to be built (bowyers, screw press, siege workshop, jewelers shop, soapers

I'm sure some of the dependancies and ordering will need to be swapped around for the sake of realism and balance, but I hope you get the idea.

The game as is lets you show up in the woods, chop down a tree, and construct complicated workshops that fabricate fancy jewelry and machines. It's too easy I think.

Basically, I want to make it feel like more of a struggle to start out with stone age technology (if you choose to be so unprepared at embark), and progress through bronze age, iron age... up to a crude industrial capability in a series of evolving stages. I want to feel like building the first forge is a milestone for your fort, and feel accomplished when I manage to finally build that much needed craftsdwarf shop so we can finally start turning a profit, and smile when I at last have achieved the capability to work with those valuable gems I've been digging up. When I can finally build that mechanics shop, I'll have harnessed the technology which, like magic, can link levers and pressure plates to do all sorts of wonderful things unimaginable to your 7 original settlers, who arrived in rags with spears and rocks.

So....

1. how can I change the materials required for building each workshop?

2. How can I add new items to the game (suppose that they'd all fall into the "tools" category)?

3. How can I add reactions to different workshops to create those new tools?

4. Any other input or comments?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i like the idea of adding many necessary components and tools to build workshops, but that's been discussed, agreed and afaik planned long ago.
I don't like the idea of explicitly separating them into tiers, though. Requirements for building them i think would be better if they are more liberal, with no clear ladder from 1st tier shop to the 5th

edit: and no, you can't touch the most of existing workshops at all, because they are hardcoded.
You can declare your own workshops in the raws and assign them resources and reactions, but the ones that already exist are not going anywhere.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 03:37:33 am by nanomage »

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile

No. It's too much work and micromanaging.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile

I like the idea, though I think to cut down on micromanagement there should be an option to have workshops automatically get new components when they become available.
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This could probably be folded into the perennial discussion about turning workshops into zones or rooms, complete with furniture. That way it would be less a matter of being able to build, say, an Ashery, and more about being able to put a mechanised sawmill into your carpenters' shop now you have a large serrated disc, mechanisms and power. Check the thread over here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=90466.0

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are workshops defined in the raws? If so this could be made into a mod.  I think that would be awesome, and I would definately play it.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile

Are workshops defined in the raws?
Only a few like soap maker's. The rest are part of the actual game.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)