Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waterskins = forced sobriety  (Read 785 times)

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Waterskins = forced sobriety
« on: November 04, 2006, 04:37:00 am »

I haven't used waterskins for my soldiers ever since I noticed that it kept them from drinking booze, making them sluggish and unhappy.  

Can waterskins be changed to be filled with booze instead of water if it's available?

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Waterskins = forced sobriety
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 02:22:00 pm »

do they not drink booze when you (then) set them to not carrying water? (no idea.. didn't pay attention!)

... interestingly.. once i had a soldier carry food & water.. so far so good... then i had him not carry food and water... but he still picked up the (now empty) backpack and water skin... as part of the equipment

that was like 2 versions back.. i think..

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 02:41:00 pm »

Bloat45 is for all dwarves to try to carry around drinking flasks.  I could handle this when I do that, since they are related.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 05:18:00 pm »

They'll still carry the waterskin after you set them to no water -- but they will drink booze again.  Same for food/packs.  

I'm not positive, but I believe soldiers/hunters will pick up a pack or waterskin when they first show up (or are recruited) even when they're set to no food or drink.

I don't mind if this bug isn't fixed for a while, but I did want to report it.

marginoferror

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 10:30:00 pm »

Yes, I've noticed that first-time recruits always pick up a backpack and/or waterskin if they are available, regardless of any other settings.  It's very frustrating when you are trying to recruit dwarves in order to station them somewhere safe.  But once they pick up a waterskin and backpack for the first time, they will never put it down, even if they are deactivated - so assuming you don't run out of the containers, it is only a problem once.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 12:24:00 am »

The real solution to the problem of new recruits wanting skins/packs is to not have any spares available.  They won't look for them if they're not around.

However, if a dwarf carrying one gets killed, waterskinless soldiers (or hunters) will decide they must have that pack right now.

Now that I think about it, this is a mild bug: soldiers and hunters that aren't set to carry water/food shouldn't seek out skins/packs.

[ November 21, 2006: Message edited by: Maximus ]