Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SAM - the Stone Appearance Minimod  (Read 491 times)

Gorm

• Bay Watcher
  • not related to Gorm of Denmark
    • View Profile
SAM - the Stone Appearance Minimod
« on: August 23, 2011, 11:40:10 am »

Hello everyone! Today I present to you SAM, the Stone Appearance (mini-)Mod.
You can get it here.

What it does, you wonder? Well, it changes the appearance of stones.

To start at the beginning, I have for quite some time been quite unnerved by the fact that in vanilla DF several ores look exactly the same despite being ores of completely different metals. There is, for example, no way to differentiate between unmined galena, horn silver, native platinum and native silver without loo(k)ing. I decided to change this.
Now, the main problem here is that most ores (and two non-economic stones) share the pound sign £ and can only be distinguished by color.

Therefore, I changed all ores to use the first letter of their metal's name as their tile. For galena and tetrahedrite I chose the main metal, not silver.
Now, this takes some getting used to, given that your walls now look like someone walled cats, imps and other animals in, but it really makes identifying ores easier.
Furthermore, the two non-ores cobaltite and cinnabar are changed to look like normal stones, making raw cotton candy the only stone to use the pound sign. I also changed all non-ores that use letters as their symbol to non-letters, which should make ores stand out more.

While I was at it, I changed bituminous coal to use the same symbol as lignite and, to keep them distinguishable, changed the color of  lignite to brown. This is mainly because bit. coal looks like a gem in vanilla. And that's terrible.

Going on, I changed chalk and dolomite to look the same as the other two layer forming flux stones, making flux more easily identifiable.

Last but not least, I changed microcline's color from light cyan to cyan. The reason for this is obvious: I couldn't stand seeing that garish color everywhere anymore. Also, it makes raw you-know-what the only cyan stone.

Here's what it looks like with the standard 8x12 tileset (using a slightly non-standard brown):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, if I got you interested, here's where you can get this mod. The archive also contains a file with an overview over all the changes.

I'm always open for comments, questions and critique.
As dwarves slowly lose their stats over time it's natural for them to get fatter as they age because there's no activities to train healing rate.
so dwarves that die of old age in DF dont get shriveled and weak, but huge round masses of meat and fat that explode spectacularly upon their final birthday?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: SAM - the Stone Appearance Minimod
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 12:18:36 pm »

Does this mean we can mine fossilized cats for copper and silver?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: SAM - the Stone Appearance Minimod
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 01:58:57 pm »

Does this mean we can mine fossilized cats for copper and silver?

No, you mine fossilized sheep for silver, except where there are cats.

Good mod, though. Very convenient.