Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bit of Butter to go with your Bread  (Read 3110 times)

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
Bit of Butter to go with your Bread
« on: August 13, 2011, 11:51:02 am »

Yum!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

material_template_default.txt with notes on values - if you update any of these with better values, please let me know:

EDIT:  Need to add this line to the material template for milk:

Butter material template:

reaction_other.txt:

building_custom.txt (I used the barrel type for dwarfs and would use the plunger type for humans):

creature_[whatever].txt - place this in whichever creatures whose milk you want to use - cow example:

Don't forget to add the reaction and building to your entities.

I don't know if I'm entirely sold on the glob/paste item type, but it works as it is.  This means it will produce individual globs (like tallow) of butter in the amount of units of milk (usually 10 at most).  Gameplay milk (milking action and caravans) will be fine, but if you use the embark-with-milk exploit, be aware the reaction will fill the barrel and the rest will be on the ground, generating however many hauling jobs it requires.

UPDATE:  even with the edible_raw tag, entities won't eat this item until it is cooked; not sure if it is the paste state that is doing this or not.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:50:14 pm by Dwarfu »

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
Re: Bit of Butter to go with your Bread
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 04:13:58 pm »

I like it.  Could make for some interesting cooking.  "Cow butter biscuits" sounds a whole lot more appealing than "wolf kidney roast."

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 04:30:50 pm »

I love your food mods Dwarfu! You really need to make a thread to archive them and keep us up to date on the latest R&D  :D

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 08:39:08 pm »

I like it.  Could make for some interesting cooking.  "Cow butter biscuits" sounds a whole lot more appealing than "wolf kidney roast."

"Made from finely minced cow butter and well minced cow butter"... Yeah, sure, sounds delicious to me. Almost as good as dog tallow roasts from dog tallow, dog tallow, cat tallow and dog tallow ;)

Anyway, I'll try this out. I like these little mods that add flavor to the game without changing too much.

But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 11:24:40 pm »

Anyway, I'll try this out. I like these little mods that add flavor to the game without changing too much.

This quite litterly adds flavor to the game lol.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 07:22:16 pm by BeforeLifer »
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

ouroboros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 11:51:44 pm »

awesome!

Now what tags need to be added so the dorfs can practice butter sculpture?

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 07:44:15 am »

Original post now shows the material reaction product tag that needs to be added to the milk material.

ouroboros, I'll have to test out a few things, but I should be able to show you how to create both butter statues and figurines.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 11:22:25 am »

Every classy dining room should have one of these:

Note that these can't be eaten or cooked, even with the edible_raw or edible_cooked tags, so I removed those tags in the material template.

Material template (with a small change to the reactions, this isn't needed - it is just there to add the 'sculpted' word in the creature definitions):

Creature file (cow example - these aren't needed if you don't care about the 'sculpted' adjective in the name of the item - it would just say 'cow butter statue' instead of 'sculpted cow butter statue'):

Reactions (if you don't care about the sculpted word, change the product line from SCULPTED_BUTTER_MAT to NONE):

Add these to your entities:

Also note that if you have 10 butter globs in a barrel, it will make 10 statues in one go.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 11:29:02 am by Dwarfu »

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 11:46:13 am »

Added a pic with a 'roast' food item using butter, and a pic with just bread and butter.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 12:01:37 pm by Dwarfu »

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 07:15:31 pm »

Awesome. As a suggestion, might it be an idea to add butter soap as a product? I've been Googling around and seen some citations for soap made from buttermilk, olive and butter mixes, and some vague comments that imply pure cow butter soap is viable. Apparently it tends to smell of cheese, though that can be masked with herbal oils, and it's not like dwarves who eat cat brain are going to be too bothered what their medical and cleaning supplies smell of.

Would you mind if I included this in My Little Fortress, with some additions? I'm adding various doughs in the next update and this would be a great addition, right now the reactions use tallow or oil. Bread, cake, cookie and gelatin sculptures and figurines would be pretty fun, too.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 09:12:44 pm »

Yeah, have at it.

In my own personal modding, I use olive oil, cottonseed oil and almond milk for soaps, but other than tallow or some sort of fat derivative I hadn't seen actual use of butter, even by chandlers (I try to stick to the rough DF time frame).

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 01:57:14 am »

Thanks.

Fair enough, I just tend to think that using medieval Europe as the basis of how tech is used is a bit limiting when we can embark in tropical jungles and the like. Especially with trade being as restricted as it is, and soap being as vital to survival as it is, I'd assume butter soap would get used in times of need. Then again, the main problem there is the fact that dwarves are aware of germs, or at least the need for cleanliness, it's anachronistic thinking. Then again, in my mod magical ponies transform fruits and vegetables into wooden logs, I've got no standing to argue about coherent settings.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 04:40:20 pm »

Then again, in my mod magical ponies transform fruits and vegetables into wooden logs, I've got no standing to argue about coherent settings.
WIN

ouroboros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 06:20:44 pm »

again, awesome!

great work, Dwarfu