Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shadow of the Colossus worlds  (Read 1768 times)

Lycus

• Bay Watcher
  • Death is just another form of winning.
    • View Profile
Shadow of the Colossus worlds
« on: August 18, 2011, 10:40:18 am »

(Loong post, yep.)

I invite everyone on this forum to join me in creating a world that has few to no sites, few humans and lots of powerful monsters. Think of this as both a random fun world to play, and an experiment on how the world generation handles ridiculous numbers of beasts in a small world.

I created  a world with a small size, very high beasts, high savagery, and medium everything else, in Deon's Genesis mod. Starting up the world for the first time, I see that a single Keeper and a single Illithid settlement exist in the entire world. I'm writing this as I play, creating a sword-wielding keeper, to be closest to the SOTC main character.

Starting skills: High Str, Agi & Toughness. Above average endurance. Useless stats left at the lowest, everything else was default. Skilled Knight, Competent Fighter, Adequate Observer, Novice Swimmer, Adequate Shield User, Competent Dodger. Off I go as Nimbus Conjuredheats, into a harsh world full of deadly creatures.

Beginning equipment was a Steel two-handed sword and an iron kite shield, which is pretty damn awesome and set my spirits high. After a few average outlaw-killing quests, my guy and his peasant buddy became fed up with killing small-fry creatures. Querying with the local creatures revealed that a bloated beholder lived about a days travel to the northeast, so Nimbus and his peasant buddy valiantly set out to slay it.

...They entered a random lair and a night freak bit Nimbus' Phallus off. After a quick fight, the night freak pretty much ruined his sword arm, so Nimbus valiantly ran away and let the peasant die instead. Upon fast-travelling for a while and discovering another lair, Nimbus exited fast travel to find his peasant friend standing behind. ...Huh?

The pair then entered the lair to find a moon creature, which promptly beat Nimbus so hard he repeatedly fell in and out of unconciousness. He then awoke properly to find the moon creature dead and the peasant unharmed. The pair later encountered a dragon and Nimbus died, but that isn't the point. The story of my SOTC world-turned deadly peasant story is complete. Now other people make a Shadow of the Colossus world and report what happens, yep.

EDIT: Completely forgot to mention what happened about the beholder lair. We found it, and the same deadly peasant absolutely owned it. Damn, this peasant is pro...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:45:34 am by Lycus »
Whilst I may not be the most successful Adventurer, I have a lot of fun dying.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow of the Colossus worlds
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 10:56:07 am »

I have created issunushul, a smaller vanilla world with minimal sites&civs and maximum beasts/savagery.
The only options to play were goblin from some civ and human outsider. I chose goblin peasant becaus it's quite rare to be able to take one.
So, here goes Usbu Abaxuspgas, Novice Swordsman, Adequate Swimmer, Competent Shield User.
I spawned right nex to a lair of Sath GujegSut Oce Gogol the Hag of Evil.
Well actually there were many hags there. And they killed me despite my clever tactics and strategical thinking.

Well i had no choice except to fight them because insted bogies would get me in the night

hm the second goblin of mine did better.
this time i spawned near a cavern entrance and decided to explore them. I killed a crapload of underground creatures, got my hand crippled by an elk bird, my leg torn off by a cave croc and finally drowned in an underground lake on cavern level two. total kill count 36 creatures
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 11:59:44 am by nanomage »

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 04:43:36 pm »

You should play with advanced parameters a bit more instead of just using the quick changes. If you really want lots of large beasts (megas and semis) it will go a LOT smoother that way.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 08:42:42 pm »

Note: Wander (the SotC protagonist) is better with a bow than a sword.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 11:25:25 pm »

Yaayy, somebody saw my idea in the whats going on thread :D  I have yet to get a SOFTC world without crashing. Just gotta do some trial and error, I 'spose

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 03:43:19 am »

Note: Wander (the SotC protagonist) is better with a bow than a sword.
i guess i should have known more about that SotC thing before starting.
Anyway, i regenned the world with advanced params, racking up megabeast and semimegabeast counts along with lair numbers, demons and NC's.
This time one human and two elven civs (and gobs mb but they are unplayable) survived the 274years of monster rampage.

hist figures has 4 pages of megabeasts, many semimegabeasts, two goblins and 15 or so elves who are still alive.
My firs adventurer was eaten by a bear after killing two bandit camps.
does this qualify as a SotC world?

Lycus

• Bay Watcher
  • Death is just another form of winning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 08:35:15 am »

Alright, once again I'm doing a SOTC world. This time I went into advanced parameters, and severely upped the number of Titans, megabeasts, semis, demon types & night creature types whilst also messing with savagery. 845 year history, small island. I didn't think a single civilization would survive. In fact, a dwarf, a sylvan elf, a dusk elf, a keeper, an orc, a goblin, a kobold and a scavenger civilization survived.

It's worth noting I don't expect anyone, including me, to stick properly to the main character of SOTC. Bows and crossbows are nearly useless, and he did always strike the final blows with his sword, including hitting weakpoints, so I think sword should be the main skill people use. For the sake of pleasing hardcore SOTC fans, I made a keeper with equal skill in sword & bow. I went off-lore by putting some points in shield, to avoid instant dragon-related death. Also dodging points, to add to my survivability. Competent Knight, Yeoman (That's sword & bow in genesis.), shield user & dodger. Adequate observer & novice in fighter and swimmer. I also decided to throw rocks aimlessly to buff up my archer skill, as to be fair, Wander from SOTC is a damn good shot with a bow. Guy was named Finis Knightshaken. Off I went.

Bad news is he did not start with a bow. Also, his sword was only of bronze quality. Good news is that his first quest was to kill a bandit so I hoped to obtain better stuff there. ...The bandit killed me in three blows with her Steel Sabre, with the last two blows cutting off both my legs. Jeez. RESTART ON SAME WORLD :D

This time I went off-lore and made a Demigod Dwarf, for the sake of brief survival. Talented Axedwarf, Talented Fighter, Adequate Observer, Novice Swimmer, Skilled in shields and dodging. Off I went as a steel dwarf named Rith Paddlechances. First quest was to kill a Bronze Statue, that comes from underground. I had never had this sort of quest before...  And the statue had killed 4. Still, it was only made of bronze and I had an iron axe and shield, so I held high spirits :D

I promptly cut off it's arms, legs and then head upon arrival. Epic. I also found Black Steel Lamellar leather armor, which sounds awesome. Time to get another quest. Rith then slaughtered a camp of lizardmen bandits and a brook troll, just to be beaten and suffocated by bogeymen. The end. To be fair, he killed about 8 of them, which is admirable. I'll play this world again later, and I might make one with no night creatures to stop bogeymen killing everyone.
Whilst I may not be the most successful Adventurer, I have a lot of fun dying.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 11:08:07 am »

cooked up a small island, ratcheted up titans significantly, and cut back on the demons and night creatures.
I;m using My little fortress, and  Horses of Myth.
looks like only zebras and Buffalo survived worldgen, although the latter are scattered. Gettinga bit of the sotc vibe, since the intial site was a forest retreat, and thus, Non-existant.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 12:04:28 pm »

You should play with advanced parameters a bit more instead of just using the quick changes. If you really want lots of large beasts (megas and semis) it will go a LOT smoother that way.
Interest get. I've tried this as of last night using just the basic worldgen startup thing and, uh, I'm less than satisfied. Anyone know how to use advanced parameters in a way to set this up because it's all foreign to me.

For what it's worth my crappy prehistoric world (year 5) seems to have a lot of giant giant cheetahs. Like I seriously can't take more than four steps around the one human civ without getting ambushed by one. So that keeps me on my toes. Also there seem to be a lot of monsters from the caverns up and about; I was asked to kill a molemarian, a hungry head, and a voracious cave crawler(!?) that all wandered up at some point. I never actually got to see the last one because a random giant cave swallow strangled me while my axeman buddy watched.
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 06:51:00 am »

I would try this, only it's hard enough to stay alive as it is in DF.

Also, I think you should use Advanced Parameters to try and raise the number of megabeasts in the world. That way you can go around slaying them as if you're hunting Colossi.