Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making DF more multiplayer friendly.  (Read 708 times)

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making DF more multiplayer friendly.
« on: August 22, 2011, 07:43:58 am »

I think we can all agree that stories like Boatmurdered, Ardentdikes, Failcannon are fun to read. What makes them so fun? It's the fact that they're run by a number of players who each get one year. That's important for two reasons - it gives the fortress a schizophrenic, chaotic feel, and it prevents the players from getting too attached to the fort. Lets be honest: when you take over a fort for a year and a towering humanoid made of gold comes up the stairs and starts kicking dwarves left and right, you laugh and enjoy trying to save the fort. When the same thing happens in a fort you've carefully nurtured for fifteen years, and that's your legendary weaponsmith exploding against the wall over the body of your starting miner, you curse and reach for ctrl-alt-del. In other words, DF produces the best results when passed around.

Unfortunately, I think the present system for succession forts, as they're known, is pretty primitive. Forum threads get the job done, but I think it could be done much better by a separate interface, to which turn orders, save files, fortress maps and text and picture updates are uploaded.

This isn't necessarily a call on Toady to do this - I think he's busy enough as it is, and should concentrate on DF. I think that the modding community might be able to pull this off - after all, they've given us tilesets and Dwarf therapist and the like. I personally don't know the first thing about modding, but would it be possible? And is it a good idea?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making DF more multiplayer friendly.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 07:57:40 am »

Sure it would be possible, but I don't think it would be much of an improvement over the current system. At best it's slightly more efficient and at worst it is an inconvenience.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:36:45 am »

Maybe you search (for example "multiplayer") before making a post next time?

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 09:26:15 am »

I couldn't find anything like this. Maybe you read what you're replying to before making a post next time?

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 10:21:03 am »

This is not the usual "Toady make DF multiplayer plz" thread that's been kicked around for ages. He's talking about doing something to make succession forts more manageable. I don't know what he's talking about doing, but it's in a different direction.

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Demand for a better succession fort (web) environment/utility/web service
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 02:20:48 pm »

Well, you're right. I did not read the last passages. Sorry for that.
From what I see now, i guess it's the Titel (and board) which is a bit misleading because it has nothing to do with what Toady is actually doing (or am I wrong again?)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 02:43:31 pm »

From my reading, it's incorporating export-to-succession-storage and import-from-succession-storage into DF itself.  Which would need at least a little maintenance by Toady (perhaps a look-up file on the reasonable safe and secure Bay12 site that points to whatever network resource is the current fan-run storage area, if not full Bay12 storage in the first place) and probably some form of discrimination applied to each submission/retrieval request, if not actual security conducive with individuals mutually registering themselves as a group (and a schedule, and hard/soft time-limits before looking towards giving the next player on the rights to continue instead of a laggard) to which the transference should adhere.

The screenshots, mapdumps and 'journal text' part of the succession game could be integrated, but would need more Toady-At-Keyboard for non-core features.  Perhaps the "You have successfully uploaded the game" web-page that the save-export process ends up at could feature forms and buttons of its own so that this remains a separate process, still.

I speak, though, only as an occasional lurker of the succession-process, and never a direct participant, and am not definite that I have the OP's intention down pat, either, so the above interpretation could be wrongly assumed. :)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 03:51:03 pm »

Just doing a casual search ("succession multiplayer")
I found these posts.