Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Geology  (Read 932 times)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
Dwarf Geology
« on: August 19, 2011, 10:23:26 am »

So I'm sick of embarking onto maps with marble 40 z-levels down. I liked limestone, or chalk even. So I figured, hey, I could gen a map in 31.18, then gen a map with the same seed in .25, and look for limestone in 31.18, and then embark in the same place in .25! Should work, right? No, it doesn't. The mineral distribution is different in .25, so unfortunately you can't do this. Is there any other way of finding limestone, or any other surface embark mineral, other than actually looking in adventurer mode? (Btw I'm going to try looking in adventurer mode now.)
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Geology
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 10:29:16 am »

A
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:39:40 am by Benedict Hardy »

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 10:59:36 am »

You could make your maps more shallow with a custom world gen... I usually play with just one cavern layer and minimum distances and that gives me the cavern -10z and magma at about -20z. It's all nice and compact that way and also helps FPS. Of course, you'll be somewhat limited in underground constructions and the overall amount of minerals, but I find that worth it. It's still more than what you got in 40d and you can also fine tune it to the amount of levels you need. Two cavern layers (about 50z underground) works pretty well and is a good compromise, too.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 12:29:30 pm »

You can also mod the stone layers in the raws, with a little editing you can have worlds consisting of what you want, and only what you want. For me, that's getting rid of the bland grey rock in favour of Marble. Marble everywhere. And layers of gold. That's whole gold layers instead of the rock.

So, why not start playing with creating your own worlds to order?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 12:31:39 pm by Reelyanoob »

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 01:10:25 pm »

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 03:16:46 am »

Ah, thanks, but I'm strictly vanilla DF. I took an adventurer around to scout for embark locations and found a dolomite rich area (it also had lovely kaolinite, clay, and sand). This was nice, but I noticed on the embark screen that flux stone didn't show up. This is interesting.

At the moment, I'd recommend adventurer mode for scouting surface minerals. It's only really good if you're checking out hills, mountains, and other rolling landscapes. However, it's the only way I've found of locating good surface minerals.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 04:58:17 am »

I think I read once that flux will only show up on the embark screen if its in a vein or cluster and not as a layer stone.  I'd say 80-90% of all my embarks have had flux somewhere; regardless of what the embark screen shows.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.