Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Invisible Mandates?  (Read 507 times)

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
Invisible Mandates?
« on: August 18, 2011, 02:22:50 pm »

So my mayor has a liking for bismuth bronze and green glass. I could have done much worse, I suppose. Although there is no sand on my map, and I haven't found bismuth or tin, the caravan is keeping me well stocked for now.

She issued her first mandate and I almost missed it in the flurry of stockpile alerts and puppy births. I managed to make 4 bismuth bronze bars in time. Looking that her mandate said 3/3 I was happy and turned my attention elsewhere.  Shortly thereafter I get a note: Urist McUnluckySmith has been struck down! I check what happens and it turns out the mayor wasn't happy with the 3/3 bismuth bronze bars she had and demanded punishment. One of my fortress guards met Urist McUnluckySmith at the booze stockpile. He punched him once in his brain, killing him instantly. I might have chosen my fortress guard poorly.

I set to work building my jail and the dwarves bury the dead. Fortunately he did not leave behind a widow or children. It seems he was married to his work of producing bismuth bronze bars, a marriage that my mayor did not approve of.

A few months later, before I bothered to assign the chains to the justice system, I get another message: Urist McMasochist cancels Drink: Resting. The same fortress guard assaulted another smith and beat the snot out of him! Broken hand, leg, several ribs and a damaged liver and guts. Checking the health panel McMasochist needed suturing, dressing, surgery, bone-setting and immobilization. My poor doctor was quite rusty, having spent the last 4 years at the fort not having to deal with so much a case of sobriety. Fortunately this doctor is anti-social and didn't attend the multitude of parties my idle dwarves seem to throw. After a few months of tending to him, McMasochist was as good as new. Checking his thoughts, he was quite happy that punishment was delivered. What? He liked getting beaten up? Who would expect that with a name like McMasochist?

One of McMasochist's teeth was knocked out. My dwarves won't move it to the refuse pile, and McMasochist won't put it into his room. It sits on the floor of the booze room as a reminder not to ignore the invisible mandates. Every dwarf that could stand was conscripted to finish the jail.

I looked back through the logs and a second mandate was never issued, let alone missed. Of course, my mayor also had a smith killed for completing a mandate. What is going on here? Is she issuing mandates and forgetting to tell people, or telling them the wrong items?
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Invisible Mandates?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 02:28:25 pm »

She's overdue for a magma bath.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 02:34:00 pm »

That's your answer to everything. Mind you, that is AN answer to everything, and usually a pretty good one.

The thing is, her preferences are quite good. I don't want to lose her for someone who likes crystal glass klein bottles and slade perpetual motion machines.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Alchemical Engineer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 02:59:02 pm »

The 3/3 means that 3 items out of 3 are still REQUIRED to be made to fulfill the mandate.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 03:00:31 pm »

The 3/3 means that 3 items out of 3 are still REQUIRED to be made to fulfill the mandate.
Yup. The mandate goes away when you complete it, so you must have gotten a second mandate at some point.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 05:03:10 am »

I suppose I must have missed something then int he flurry of puppies. I saw a dogexplosion and thought I had curtailed it, but as odds are the nine wardogs I had assigned to my woodcutters were all females. I don't like putting downn amed dogs, it reminds me of ol' yeller, but it had to be done.

Anyway I should I should have seen this mandate, maybe I was just blinded by puppies. Apart from the fact that my mayor is constantly traumatized by the fact that one of my dwarfs, out there, somewhere, doesn't live in squalor. It's probably my cook, I built her a palace since she was so distraut that all her hen egg roasts that the military took were rotting. Turns out the vermin ate most of her roasts, which she didn't give a !fun! about.