Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure mode: Target yourself (weapons, interactions etc.)  (Read 2158 times)

Thread

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Adventure mode: Target yourself (weapons, interactions etc.)
« on: August 18, 2011, 10:28:23 pm »

I think it would be helpful to add the ability to target yourself with melee and ranged weapons in adventure mode. With the addition of the interactions framework an ability to target yourself with interactions (beneficial or otherwise) would also be handy if it isn't coded in already.

Right now I'm simply thinking of being able to self-amputate with regards to re-animating limbs etc, but it could be rolled into ways to escape traps and such later on (for instance if environmental hazards get added). For example, trapped under a boulder by the arm in a rockslide, if you have a weapon handy you can self-amputate, move on & hope you don't bleed out or get infected.

This doesn't necessarily need to add the risk of accidentally targeting yourself either through player error or low weapon skill levels on the part of the adventurer. Although 'fumbles' for really unskilled adventurers trying very difficult tasks might be cool - "You stab yourself in the left pinky toe, chipping the bone!"

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode: Target yourself (weapons, interactions etc.)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 10:40:46 pm »

Search first, read a few topics, then build on the idea. This isn't to stifle your creativity, this is so that we can expand on the idea instead of having the same old debates on the same old ideas. If you don't have anything new to add, don't post.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 11:12:21 pm »

Wow that's insightful.

Too bad this is the first topic on self amputation, suicide and seppuku.
Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.

Thread

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 11:58:57 pm »

There aren't really many very relevant threads I can find referring to either of these specific issues being discussed before. There are two of borderline relevance:

For fumbles:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=28156

For attacking yourself:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63250

There have been some other failure threads, but related to failing to craft in fortress mode rather than an adventure mode focus. The previous fumbles thread relates to balance and stumbles, not wounding yourself due to an absolute dearth of weapon skill and spatial sense (check out the second post from Footkerchief quoting one of the old power goals). It is also from 2008.

The 'attacking yourself' thread is from last August, which is more recent but predates the November addition of aimed attacks. In fact a few posts from the thread state that with the addition of aimed attacks the ability to attack yourself could become more useful. I think given that aimed attacks have now been implemented and the interaction targeting framework is incoming, this might be a good time to quickly add self-targeting, if it is as simple as adding 'yourself' to the code for 'valid combat targets'.

Not being Toady I can't say whether this would be easy to implement, but if it is I think it's a reasonable suggestion for the next few releases. If it isn't easy, it could await more meaty combat rewrites. As a suggestion that doesn't seem to have been specifically addressed before.

With that said, while I have done multiple searches for each of these two ideas using varying keywords, it's always possible I missed a thread somewhere due to an obscure keyword being used or a simple brain fart on my part missing a common synonym. If so, feel free to throw me the link. I kept the first post short to avoid TL:DR and set the tone for this suggestion: something that would be nice to quickly throw in during the coming months, if it is trivial to implement.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 12:04:37 am »

Wow that's insightful.

As Thread points out above, this is incorrect.

Whille the second thread you linked there is over a year old, I don't think the concept of "hurting yourself with fumbles/on purpose" is really that complex of an idea to really warrant much more in the way of discussion.  Not saying it's a bad idea, but it's on par with "Toady add emotes and gestures for NPCs!".  It's something that will almost certainly happen as other systems all into place.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 02:43:03 am »

stop trolling arround with the "this has been posted" junk. I like this idea and I want to go kill a town and the commit suicide.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 05:48:54 am »

stop trolling arround with the "this has been posted" junk.

Quote from: Thread Guidelines
New posters will not always follow the guidelines above, but if you aren't making an honest effort to be helpful, do not post.  The best option is to ignore redundant threads entirely, especially if somebody helpful has already replied.

It's in the forum guidelines. Since most people don't read them, I kindly remind them of it.

Wow that's insightful.

Nope, perhaps you should search too. Try 'Amputation Adventurer' you get three elaborated ideas.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 05:51:02 am by IT 000 »

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 07:56:44 am »

I think it would be helpful to add the ability to target yourself with [...] ranged weapons in adventure mode.

Tell me, how you shoot yourself with crossbow or bow?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 08:12:43 am »

I think it would be helpful to add the ability to target yourself with [...] ranged weapons in adventure mode.

Tell me, how you shoot yourself with crossbow or bow?
with a crossbow it's as easy as shoot yourself with a rifle. Use a stick to push the trigger maybe?
with a bow consider this:
you put an arrow on the string, lie on the ground while holding the bow with hands, stretch the bow with your legs and let the string when the arrow tip is directed toward your body or head. You can also shoot your left or right hand when holding the bow properly.
And of course you can always shoot your leg.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 10:58:57 am »

you put an arrow on the string, lie on the ground while holding the bow with hands, stretch the bow with your legs and let the string when the arrow tip is directed toward your body or head. You can also shoot your left or right hand when holding the bow properly.
And of course you can always shoot your leg.

You can't really shoot your leg properly, stretching a bow requires to be at least standing a little. Maybe in the foot.
Also, you can't just "put an arrow on the string". It needs to be held in place if you want it to go straight or not to fall, and I suspect it'd be worse on a medieval bow. You could perhaps use your right hand to strech the string, using your left thumb as a support for the arrow, holding the limb between your left thumb and paw. That would put your left paw in front of the tip, but in direct contact with it, and I'm not sure what that would result into.

If you want to fire a bow at yourself, you still have the solution to fire perfectly straight up and wait for it to come back at you.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 11:17:04 am »

well i never fired a medieval bow, but i'm a bit skilled with a modern olimpic one.
You shouldn't hold the arrow with your fingers and better you shouldn't even touch it at all after putting it on the string (and resting it upon the arrow rest). it locks itself into the nocking point firmly and rests there when you draw the string.
I don't really know if nocking point existed in medieval bows, but i think it did, because it's simple device which increases accuracy greatly.

And  shooting your leg is always possible, with any kind of weapon or tool.  8)