Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Not open source  (Read 1135 times)

gmanyo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Not open source
« on: December 17, 2011, 02:52:26 am »

I agree that this game should not be open source, however I want to suggest a semi-open-source alternative that might work. Seeing as it takes hours and hours of time to do grunt work in coding, I was thinking that maybe Toady could "outsource" different parts of the project to members of the community. He could still do all the essential class design and game organization, but he could get some community members to do some of the grunt work coding that just takes up his time. For example, if he wanted to make a subclass of a dwarf type that was a flying dwarf, he could tell someone in the community exactly what he wanted and then let them do the coding (this is just an example, of course). Toady would still be able to check over the code, of course. This might not work - there are certainly problems with it - but I think it's an interesting idea, and if it does work could dramatically accelerate the production of the game.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Not open source
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 04:05:52 am »

1. Flying dwarf subclass are entirly possible with current modding (I think, just make a dwarf class with the flyer tag)

2. Not going to happen, ever.(Probably)

3. Search before you post, footkerchief 'll probably come around with a dozen links soon.

4. There's a similair thread on the first page.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 04:08:23 am by 10ebbor10 »

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 05:55:55 pm »

Yeah man, this has been discussed to death. Toady does not want to do anything like this, in the event he does decide to "outsource" it'll be entirely his choice and he'll let us know, constantly making these threads is not gonna persuade him or anything.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 10:25:30 pm »

Hey Ernest Hemingway, let me work on your novel, please, I'll do a really good job.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 11:39:10 pm »

Not to let this thread go to waste, couldn't Toady do some API for dwarf fortress? As far as I know, current helper programs work with hacks, so somewhere in the future, API could help him, not delegate maybe, but not bother with tiresome issues. I was thinking of the interface mostly.
Or is this a stupid idea? I mean, Hemingway probably didn't care about how his book was printed.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 11:42:31 pm »

Totally beside the point and off topic, but Hemingway was actually pretty obsessive about editors not messing with his stuff and all that.