Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: items dwarfs wont take for some reason  (Read 638 times)

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
items dwarfs wont take for some reason
« on: August 21, 2011, 09:52:33 am »

for some reason one of my dwarfs left food to rot in there bedroom and is now complaining about the miasma, wtf do i do to get the food out :|
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 10:11:05 am by Xotano »
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: food in bedrooms
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 09:54:37 am »

Make a dump-zone outside the fortress, look at the food, press d to dump it and wait for a dwarf to cart it away.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 09:56:45 am »

i actually already have a dump zone and have it marked as dump, no one has gone to get it and the room owner keeps running in and out of the room not taking it.

also checked, its not marked as forbid either
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 09:59:49 am by Xotano »
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 10:05:53 am »

think it rotted away, its gone now, i still have some problems with items the dwarfs wont get tho, i have a bucket stuck outside with 2 water in it that no one will pick up and a bucket stuck in a room that no one will use.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
Re: items dwarfs wont take for some reason
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 10:13:04 am »

The solution is magma.The solution for the bucket outside is Lava.

Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 10:15:49 am »

Check burrows and military alerts.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 10:27:35 am »

I'm not sure, but next time you see it happening, look closer at the food in question and see if it has an owner. Items that are discarded but still owned tend to be problematic, cluttering up the fortress, blocking tiles that you might want to build on, and, in the case of food, rotting and generating miasma. Clothing and food alike may get thrown around during sparring sessions; clothing is cast aside whenever the dorf gets something new to wear, but not always relinquished fully.

I'm not aware of any in-game way to do much about it. DFHack does include a utility to clear the owned status of items (dfcleanowned.exe under Windows), and its default operation is specifically to clear the owned status of food on the floor, with further options for confiscating other floor-littering items or worn-out gear.

I'm really not sure what to say about the buckets. Do you have stockpiles with free space for them to be taken to? Come to think of it, I'm not sure buckets of water can be stockpiled, offhand...
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 10:59:46 am »

Oh yeah, things can be a major hassle if they're owned. (like a pair of socks and a cap in my 30-z-deep basin.) You can cut down on the clothing-clutter by giving everyone a cabinet though.
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 11:30:53 am »

I read once that dwarves in the military can claim food and take it to their rooms but not eat it sometimes. I could be what is happening here.

I can't remember the combinations of circumstances that lead to this, or find the link to the relevant thread.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 11:34:11 am »

Yup military dwarves are usually the culprit concerning food in rooms. To help with this problem, just put a chest/coffer in the room. They will store food in it
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 11:52:57 am »

funny cus all of my bedrooms have a bed cabinet door and coffer/chest yet some things just get tossed on teh floors anyways, one of the buckets is outside my base but the only way to get to it is through a tunnel as i have fortifications around it, the other is sitting on a bed

for the bucket i read somewhere you can fix buckets by forbiding the liquids and dumping the bucket itself but its not working for me
that might have been with lye only

6 space rooms with smoothed floors and one of each item and my dwarfs consider them good rooms :D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 11:56:59 am by Xotano »

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 12:21:27 pm »

Check the cabinets and chests (t) to see if they're full.  You may need to build more of them.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.