Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best game  (Read 779 times)

inanity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best game
« on: August 27, 2011, 11:27:58 am »

After 35 years of searching, I've finally found the ultimate game.

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile
Re: Best game
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 11:29:25 am »

You could have put a bit more information on there, but yeah, this is an awesome game.

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

inanity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 11:32:18 am »

Well, the people who've played know what I'm talking about, and for the people who haven't played, I don't feel anything I could say would do it justice.  Or at least, I'm too busy playing DF to compose something appropriate.

There are just two other titles that come to mind as even remotely deserving of the title ultimate game:  Trade Wars 2002 (the bbs game...) and Ultima IV, although the latter doesn't have the replayability of the other two.  Edit:  Okay, maybe the original Civilization was also pretty good.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:49:00 am by inanity »

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 03:13:36 pm »

Welcome to the world's most interesting game. Please wipe your feet on the kitten-fur rug before coming in. Would you like some kitten biscuits? Just came out of the oven.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 03:16:50 pm »

And this game is turning more ultimate with each update.
You're welcome.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 03:28:34 pm »

I agree I keep coming back, other games are alright, but I find I can't play anything for too long before coming back to dwarf fortress. Civ games are good too, but mods for them are out of this world--Fall from Heaven and Masters of Mana for civ 4 are close to the best game mark. Also modded Morrowind.  But dwarf fortresss rules them all. I think its a matter or replayability and surprise and actual sense of difficulty and creativity rather than mindless grinding.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 03:57:12 pm »

I agree I keep coming back, other games are alright, but I find I can't play anything for too long before coming back to dwarf fortress. Civ games are good too, but mods for them are out of this world--Fall from Heaven and Masters of Mana for civ 4 are close to the best game mark. Also modded Morrowind.  But dwarf fortresss rules them all. I think its a matter or replayability and surprise and actual sense of difficulty and creativity rather than mindless grinding.

This.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 04:30:29 pm »

I think that aside from maybe a driving or flight sim, I am kinda done looking for anything more than just a crossword puzzle for a while. I do/did love EVE, but haven't played in a few years. Civ V kinda made me sad, but YMMV on that one. If Diablo III ever comes out I might spend some time on it, but it'll get old.

I'm not a typical gamer, though. I like to see a pretty graphic here and there to know my video card has a set of abs, but I could do just as well with a story and a good set of the community seems fine at writing.  This rather large set of "books" keep writing themselves many times over, and that is very nice. [Plus, my video cards are usually doing BOINC stuff, so not using them is cool.]

Also... magma.
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza