Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Molten stuff disappearing if no stockpile?  (Read 409 times)

Aldaron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Molten stuff disappearing if no stockpile?
« on: November 26, 2007, 07:44:00 pm »

I was melting an iron axe, and then a steel axe, but no metal bars at all appeared anywhere. The dwarf who melted the axes did not take any stuff anywhere either. It seems that the axes completely vanished after melting. Then I created a custom stockpile for bars before melting my last steel axe - now one bar appeared..

My game version is .33b.

(..and I could finally get me a pick, for digging under the ice that was the only water around, but sadly my wounded, resting dwarf died of dehydration before I could get there. Apparently wounded dwarves don't move or drink alcohol? That's what it seemed to me anyway. Many other empathic dwarves were dancing to the buckets just to cancel because they couldn't find a water source.)

Also not sure if it's a bug but it's weird: when I started my forest patch had many nice ponds. I did not use the water in any way, but all ponds evaporated completely before winter and never recovered. All but one, maybe, because the above mentioned two squares of ice, and water when spring came, still exist.

(I started that game before learning Dwarf Fortress, saved, and then went to build a mountain fort. When it got burned by a dragon, I thought of giving this game a try. It's hard though - I kinda didn't select any reasonable skills or equipment for the dwarves, and could not have chosen a worse starting location. Considering that I'm lucky to be alive and well stocked on alcohol long after first year..)

(I did originally have one pick. That vanished too, but maybe that was somehow linked to the accident where my miner/hunter got injured in the first place?)

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Molten stuff disappearing if no stockpile?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 08:17:00 pm »

You only get a fraction of the material used to make an object when you melt it. As you can't have a fraction of a metal bar, it saves your melted metal at that specific furnace until you have a full bar.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 06:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tahin:
<STRONG>You only get a fraction of the material used to make an object when you melt it. As you can't have a fraction of a metal bar, it saves your melted metal at that specific furnace until you have a full bar.</STRONG>

Out of curiosity, what happens (if known) when you deconstruct a furnace with a fractional bar in it? Do you lose the piece of bar?

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 06:59:00 pm »

You're not supposed to ask that. That's like asking God if he could make an immoveable rock.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 12:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by FFLaguna:
<STRONG>You're not supposed to ask that. That's like asking God if he could make an immoveable rock.</STRONG>

I think it's more like asking God if he could make half a rock. Because once you split a rock in two, you no longer have two halves of a rock, you have two rocks. The only time the halves truly exist is in the act of splitting.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.