Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TAR!  (Read 1068 times)

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
TAR!
« on: August 13, 2011, 02:37:34 pm »

It always bothered me that there didn't seem to be any natural tar deposites or coal tar from coke production in DF. Not so much for realism sake, but for all that you could DO with it

Any creature that entered into tar as tall or taller then themselves would have to make advanced swim checks to stay AFLOAT let alone MOVE due to the viscosity of it.

What's more COAL TAR is both sticky AND catches fire. While you -could- use this for heating or to fire boilers...you could also launch pots of FLAMING TAR from your catapults at the next seige that shows up.

And hey, with this talk of syndromes. Coal tar DOES cause cancer in humans at least.

Thoughts?
What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: TAR!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 02:43:19 pm »

And here I was thinking I wouldn't be able to use this image. Thank you Logrin.

Search first, read a few topics, then build on the idea. This isn't to stifle your creativity, this is so that we can expand on the idea instead of having the same old debates on the same old ideas. If you don't have anything new to add, don't post.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 12:38:10 pm »

Or to be more precise...here are the results.  A few bad results (targets) but there's quite a bit of prior discussion on tar.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 09:54:23 pm »

I guess it's the closest thing to gunpowder without causing a massive explosion in your stores, though the stuff will still combust with contact to anything that is burning and not fireproof. Tar still burns slowly, and takes longer to ignite that GP, which explodes when contacting even the TINIEST of sparks. Therefore, it's NOT a good Idea to put your gunpowder stockpiles next to your metalworking shops. Simply take: Stray spark+gunpowder barrel=BOOM. Instant death to the metalworker and all within a 50 tile radius. The equivalent of a nuclear explosion, is a stockpile of GP 20x20(x20) that's filled to the rafters. Bye-bye to all living things on the map if the stockpile ignites. If you do it right, though, you could theoretically take out an entire siege by firing water-skins and barrels of flaming tar or fused gunpowder to blow up the gobbos (and make 1-tile holes in the ground where the GP blew).

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 11:35:19 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91363.0

Until our tar[/url]gets are set straight.