Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 33c - All dwarves immobile ("No Job") in new f  (Read 698 times)

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
33c - All dwarves immobile ("No Job") in new f
« on: November 26, 2007, 05:44:00 pm »

Apologies if this has been reported before; I was unable to find it in the reported bugs list or the forum.

Using version 33c, I created a new world, then started a new fortress in close proximity to a goblin fortress. I had my dwarves haul their supplies into the basement of a nearby empty fortress, while one dwarf got into a wrestling match with a goblin child, and won.

Soon after, all seven of my dwarves just stopped doing anything. I can issue jobs, check the dwarves' lists of assigned professions and even tell the woodcutter to cut down a tree a few steps away from her, but no dwarf seems to be able to walk or switch out of "No Job" state.

I brought numerous war dogs along, and have barely begun playing this fortress. No dwarf has slept yet.

Edit: All of the dwarves are now thirsty, but are remaining stationary and idle despite having barrels of alcohol nearby.

Edit: They all died of thirst. None of them appeared to try to eat, drink or sleep. All of their war dogs also weren't moving at all. I'm not sure whether the local creatures were still moving.

[ November 26, 2007: Message edited by: Tayrin ]

[ November 26, 2007: Message edited by: Tayrin ]

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 33c - All dwarves immobile ("No Job") in new f
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 03:32:00 am »

Did you order them all inside? If not, they were trying to react to goblins on the top floor of a building through fortifications, and couldn't so they simply stand there.

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 06:36:00 am »

Yes, I did order them all inside at one point. I cancelled the order when it didn't seem to be working. Oops, I take it I triggered a bug that I had overlooked. I would ask if you know whether there's anything I can do to resolve the problem at this point, but I hadn't been playing for long, so I should probably just start over.

Thanks for your help. I was now able to find a listed bug that this encompasses, although it doesn't quite mention everything that happened (that the dwarves refused to do any jobs at all). I guess this is what I triggered:

quote:
000343 □ [dwarf mode][jobs][cooking and food]    dwarves refuse to eat if everything is brought inside quickly and they are ordered to stay inside

Edit: Oh, I was mistaken. I actually didn't cancel the standing order to stay indoors. The "order" I was thinking of was when I recruited the dwarves as soliders and tried stationing them all indoors, since the standing order wasn't working, but turned them all back to workers when this wasn't helping either. Now I cancelled the standing order, and the war dogs and dwarves are now all moving again. Awesome. Thanks!

[ November 27, 2007: Message edited by: Tayrin ]

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 10:08:00 am »

Np, Stay inside seems bugged of the new releases. Dwarves that are outside when the order is given will simply stand on that spot and not move until it's cancelled.

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 11:25:00 am »

That's odd; I thought that if a meeting area was designated indoors, the dwarves would meet there when the order to stay indoors was given.

Well, in any case, it may be worth mentioning that only six of the dwarves were outdoors when I gave the order; one dwarf was actually indoors (if the basement of a game-generated fortress is actually considered "indoors"), but was still unable to move.

Actually, I just checked, and the basement of the game-generated fortress is considered "inside", but not "subterranean"; and I seem to recall that the order to stay indoors requires a meeting area in a subterranean area--not just an "inside" area--to be effective in the new releases. Maybe that's why the order didn't work even though I designated a meeting area in the basement.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 12:18:00 pm »

Yeah, it has to actually be underground to be considered indoors for most purposes of the game. I'm hoping Toady will change it soon to make aboveground fortresses more feasible.