Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Guns!  (Read 1033 times)

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Guns!
« on: June 18, 2007, 07:13:00 am »

I'm trying to mod guns in but i failed (game crashed). How do i do this. Can anyone give me a template? If i suceed then I will share it with everyone. Hey dual miniguns anyone?

The Hidden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guns!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 09:45:00 am »

I wonder how guns would work out in DF, when all of them would be like made of wood.

[ June 18, 2007: Message edited by: The Hidden ]

hat''s it for now.

Slime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 10:04:00 am »

Basically, you'd have to mod them in as normal ranged weapons. I'm not sure if it's possible to add a new skill and weapon type, and besides, you'd be unable to make a machine gun or anything. So maybe you'd just have to make a gun a really powerful crossbow.

Hmm, maybe just a black powder enhanced crossbow.

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 02:12:00 pm »

well wern't the old guns/guns in WoW old muskets anyway? that would work inplace of a crossbow. which the first guns were replacements for the crossbow.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 02:15:00 pm »

"Marksdwarf" makes perfect sense for guns anyway, doesn't it? Yeah, firing a crossbow is a bit different then a gun but it eventually boils down into steadiness, perception...
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 02:28:00 pm »

Marksdwarves with high skill\agility are basicly MG42 dwarves anyway, so the dual minigun only needs to be an aesthetic.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 01:37:00 am »

I think guns have a more subtle, more global use. Bullets. Gunpowder. Explosives.

A whole new manufactury and new ways of mining!

As for skills, a crossbow requires the same skills as a gun, minus the strength for loading. A gun is a crossbow with small metal bolts and single-use strings packed into them.

Before guns exist, there needs to be gunpowder made at the alchemist's, and bullets made by the smithy.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 02:21:00 am »

Adamantine Bullets.

Say it with me now.

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 05:54:00 am »

Guns / crossbows... doesn't really make much difference if you mod them in. Suppose you'd have to produce bullets and muskets... in the real world, there are (as mentioned) entire industries around this area!

On a side note... it'd be oh-so-cool to make explosives, you could booby trap sections of the fort, or the outside to detonate areas of the map for sieges. The existing animations for fire/smoke would look ace.

I hope Toady can make new workshops / industries easier to mod in (is that on the features/bloats list yet?).

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 07:49:00 am »

Maybe I'll equip the elves with the Barrett BMG .50 with AP rounds and dwarves with a bazooka (minus all the flame, smoke and destruction of rock) and humans with, well can use everything. So piss of the elves in adv. mode then suddenly your leg flys off! (I'ts really gorier in real life!)

Slanted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 11:22:00 pm »

Honestly, if you have masterpiece crossbows firing masterpiece bolts, the difference from an assault rifle is just in your mind.

I'm talking Goblins with three or four bolts in them, dying before they even get a chance to reload their own bow.

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 10:47:00 pm »

So how can I incorporate it into the game? (Dwarf and Adv mode)