Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: tissue thickness?  (Read 800 times)

gabandre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
tissue thickness?
« on: August 16, 2011, 11:59:04 am »

how do i increase the thickness of a single tissue of a single creature?
im making a giant bettle but its chitin shatters whit scratches...

if needed here is its RAWs
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: tissue thickness?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 12:10:44 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I spaced my addtions, I believe the first one will work, but if you get a message in the errorlog about it when you run Arena Mode then try the "or"

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 01:31:32 pm »

Chitin is like a potato chip. Hard but easly breakable... I would recomend that you make a new chiten/edit the chiten so that its harder. I made a new one for my mutant scorpion that i made that was hard as copper.
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 01:33:53 pm »

I have slapped lines like
[SELECT_TISSUE:SKIN][RELATIVE_THICKNESS:4] --boost its toughness.
to "armor up" some tough creatures like trolls. You can do the same with CHITIN.
Put it after all the tissue and body declarations.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Mikey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 02:01:36 pm »

How does thickness even factor into the combat-worthiness of a tissue layer anyway?  Even if it's a straight-up multiplier (which I highly doubt), the default chitin impact yield/fracture of 10000 is so weak that it shouldn't even matter.

You should either boost the chitin template's impact values to ~100-150k (copper is 245k and 770k respectively), or create a new chitin template with better impact values and have your creature use that material instead (via [REMOVE_MATERIAL:CHITIN][USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:CHITIN:MY_CHITIN_TEMPLATE] immediately following [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CHITIN_MATERIALS]).

gabandre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 02:55:46 pm »

thnx for all replys
i think i'll make the normal chitin better as i intend to make more insects for dwaven use
(expect a dwarven animals [and maybe plants] mini-mod)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 09:32:57 pm »

How does thickness even factor into the combat-worthiness of a tissue layer anyway?  Even if it's a straight-up multiplier (which I highly doubt), the default chitin impact yield/fracture of 10000 is so weak that it shouldn't even matter.

You should either boost the chitin template's impact values to ~100-150k (copper is 245k and 770k respectively), or create a new chitin template with better impact values and have your creature use that material instead (via [REMOVE_MATERIAL:CHITIN][USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:CHITIN:MY_CHITIN_TEMPLATE] immediately following [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CHITIN_MATERIALS]).

Acually Thinkness plays a pretty good role, I had my custum creatures muscle thickness 15 and its fat at 5, thicker it it the harder it is to penetrate. As Its heart was the only thing that could end its exsistance. Using a steel spear and stabbing its upperbody several times yielded results of only tearing the fat, until a rare hit, struck the beasts heart and killing it.

Upping the material strength helps from stuff damaging or penetrating it, but thickness helps protect the underlayers or organs

squishynoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: tissu
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 04:34:42 pm »

Are you sure this works?

I tried it myself with a value of 5000, to no avail
Code: [Select]
[SELECT_TISSUE:SKIN]

[TL_RELATIVE_THICKNESS:5000]

(nothing in the errorlog)

I think it's actually the values in b_detail_plan_default.txt that give the actual thickness, I think that RELATIVE_THICKNESS is unused

EDIT:
Open mouth, insert foot! It works, but apparently it's crucial that you put the token in a certain specific point. Still, even at 1000, some attacks get through
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 04:57:05 pm by squishynoob »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
Re: tissu
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 08:26:30 pm »

Are you sure this works?

I tried it myself with a value of 5000, to no avail
Code: [Select]
[SELECT_TISSUE:SKIN]

[TL_RELATIVE_THICKNESS:5000]

(nothing in the errorlog)

I think it's actually the values in b_detail_plan_default.txt that give the actual thickness, I think that RELATIVE_THICKNESS is unused

EDIT:
Open mouth, insert foot! It works, but apparently it's crucial that you put the token in a certain specific point. Still, even at 1000, some attacks get through

Those would be the "Lucky" strikes that toady had put in. I think its fair, because how else to you kill a beast with skin soo thick that its like 50 dwarves packed toegether. Luck my friend. Luck