Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making a beast more dangerous  (Read 953 times)

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making a beast more dangerous
« on: August 10, 2011, 07:18:12 am »

I have made a Giant Enemy Crab megabeast, but although it is the size of an adult dragon, it loses to three iron armored adequately skilled dwarves sent one at a time. On the worst case the crab started by snipping off both hands of the dwarf, after which the dwarf kicked all its bodyparts to red before bleeding out.

I tried giving the crab NOSTUN, NOEXERT and NOPAIN in addition to the NOFEAR tag that it is supposed to have. I also tried giving its legs the ability to kick as a secondary attack, but that turned the giant crab into a kicking ninja due to all the attacks of opportunity. It still lost miserably though.

Killing the crab takes a long long time, but the problem is that its pincers get broken way too easily. Is there a way to reinforce the crabs pincers? Snipping and biting are about the only reasonable attacks I can think of for a giant crab.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: Making a beast more dangerous
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 07:33:19 am »

Does it use the same base materials? You might want to give it chitin made of steel, or just ridiculously thick.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 07:47:06 am »

[PRONE_TO_RAGE:100]

This will make them deadly as badgers. They'll charge at any enemy they see.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 07:50:29 am »

We're talking about a megabeast here... prone to rage won't make a large difference, as far as I'm aware.

Not only that, the question was how can he stop their pincers falling apart... XD

Did you read the post...? ;)
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 07:56:57 am »

I did, you want your crab to beat three iron armored dwarves.  :P

With the enraged comes a strength bonus and will make them nigh unstoppable even without their claws.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 09:51:35 am »

Still, I made  a gaint scorpion with 11 tails each with a different vemon :D
But it died WAY to easy simpley because a unarmed group of 6 dwarfs can PUNCH them to death simply because each hit takes out the chitin.
To prevent that i made the a second type of chiten as tought as copper(dident want this to be to overpowerd, its stingers can go though iron and praticly ignore copper>.>) and I gave them that. doing this preety much made blunt damage do almost nothing to it now at least from what i  have tested so far but weapons that are better than copper can still hurt this fairly efficantly but this beast still is freaking deadly.
If you want I can post each set of raws you will need to add to get this into your game :D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:50:36 pm by BeforeLifer »
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 12:16:44 pm »

This reminds me of when I was attempting to make a race of humans that always comes wearing full plate-mail. Before I figured out that you could just turn armor into regular clothes, I ended up giving them steel skin.

However, do realize that steel skin does not mean that their skin is as tough as steel armor--it depends on whether you make it thicker or not.

Also, I fully support making them prone to rage.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

scion-of-fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • All Things Serve the Beam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 02:33:46 pm »

Giant Enemy Crab

HIT IT IN ITS WEAK POINT FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE!
Long Days and Pleasant Nights, Stranger.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 09:05:20 am »

How do I set the thickness of pincers? Actually, I never found out how to override the standard tissue thicknesses anyway.

For other megabeasts, how can I add new tissue layers on top of old ones? I have an idea for a humanoid with a powerarmor, and I think it would work best by adding metal on top of the regular human tissues. Unless there's a way to make plate bodyparts those prevent striking bodyparts beneath them, which would be awesome for several purposes.

Also useful would be knowing how to give standard equipment to creatures. Is it possible to for example give axes to all ogres?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 11:29:13 am »

Try making the pincer attack inject a CE_BLEEDING:9999 venom. That'll do some damage  :P

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 05:39:54 pm »

Try making the pincer attack inject a CE_BLEEDING:9999 venom. That'll do some damage  :P
Lol ya that will cause a fully grow dragon to bleed out in 1 turn>.>
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized