Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: The growth and development of Dwarven children  (Read 12085 times)

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
Re: The growth and development of Dwarven children
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2011, 04:07:09 am »

I could see youngsters doing some more lighter work. Being Growers (Plant seeds, harvest), work in kitchens or the butchery (They're dwarves, deal with it) and perhaps the Craftsdwarf's Workshops. Churn out bone bolts for the militia, make stone toys and etcetera, etcetera.

Quick question, if the father has, say, the lowest of low in an attribute that has a chance to pass onto the child, while the mother has the highest of high in the same attribute. What will happen if the game decides to pick the same attribute from both parents to give to the kid. Will he turn out average? Will he either take from his dad or mom? Will it be random? Predictable? Always?
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2011, 10:21:55 am »

Some play could even result in useful skills when the child matures. I know a few people who were inspired by childhood play (i.e. Lego blocks) to become architects or mechanical engineers.

Perhaps dwarven children could slowly gain forging skills while playing with a mini-forge, capped at novice level. Or instead of actually having the skills when they mature, the game could take advantage of the skill rusting system to treat play skills as "pre-rusted," so that the rate of real skill gain will be faster once maturity is reached. The same could be true for crafting and music skills once they're introduced.
That's a good idea. I think toy axes could train axe skill, toy crossbows (requiring toy bolts made out of, I donno, cloth probably) to train marksdwarf, archer, and (in absence of toy bolts) hammer skills, block sets to train masonry/carpentry/meatlworking (depending on material) and/or architecture...

I also suggest another stage of development: Toddler. Maybe babies would start to acquire child traits in the first third or so of the child stage, wandering away from their parent (causing the parent to come after if the toddler is far enough away or in danger), playing with other children/babies/idlers/parents/siblings/etc, giving random items as "gifts" to friends and family (I can personally confirm that toddlers do this), trying to pet tame (or not) animals but maybe accidently hurting them (also confirm, young children don't always have the self-control to not hurt animals they pet...although certainly not likely to punch the doggie in the head, jamming the skull through the brain, maybe dwarven chil.dren do), and of course getting into all kinds of trouble--falling down wells, getting lost in mines, trying to pet the big, furry tick with leathery wings and firey breath, giving a chunk of granite to a nice-looking green-skinned person with a big, sharp, fun-looking toy, etc--when not supervised.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Chakravanti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2011, 03:18:05 pm »

Kids should fight/spar with each other and use toy weapons.  That would go really well with the Dwarven SuperSoldier Daycare.  Economy could thresh out a pecking order with rich kids using bullies to beat up the poor kids so that they'll all make good soldiers.  You can then build a school/playground to make dwarves play/learn by designating toys like hospitals.

Note: Retired military personell can double as great teachers.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]