Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: redeeming blowguns  (Read 5018 times)

Saladman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
redeeming blowguns
« on: August 15, 2011, 06:11:13 pm »

I've been blessed with one of the infamous artifact blowguns, and I'm wondering how best to use it.  I know about the weapon trap option but I'd like more.  Is there a way to edit in production of blowdarts?

Alternately I'm considering using it as a training weapon for a swordsdwarf to beat a goblin with, but I'm still confused by weapon stats and I'm curious as to whether it's better or worse than a simple training sword in melee.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: redeeming blowguns
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 06:30:41 pm »

You can't just add items to your already generated world.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 06:32:23 pm »

Put it in a weapon trap in your dining hall.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 07:00:42 pm »

Blowdarts modded into the game, if made of metal, shred soft tissue. Great for crippling a group of enemies before the speardwarves move in.
It'll be a good training sword, due to artifact bonus, but you're better off with it in your dining hall in a trap.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 10:10:32 pm »

i thought all (unmodded) ranged weapons used the hammer skill for close combat.  ???
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 10:22:55 pm »

No, IIRC swords, for whatever reason. Only our trusty X-Bow uses hammer.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 10:34:26 pm »

effectiveness depends mostly on material properties.  If its steel you will have a nice weapon, if its wood then it should perform a little better then a training weapon. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 10:36:52 pm »

If you put that blowgun in a weapon trap, then your dwarves are going to spam you with "Cannot reload weapon trap: Ammo does nor exist" until you deconstruct it.  Just sayin'.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 10:49:45 pm »

Or forbid the trap's components once it's built.

EDIT: Or conquer an animal man civ in the caverns such that at least one blowdart survives.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 04:56:08 pm »

You could give it to any form of justice dwarf in your fortress. A blowgun without darts is essentially a bamboo cane.

The freaky school mistress of martial trancing justice.
"Bad little dwarf. You're looking at some time in the golden, super-happy corner of naughtiness. Do your arbitarily assigned mandates now. We know you soap-makers are the ring leaders.......". THWACK!

Reminds me of school anyway. And I was a good student :)

Or, you know, put it in a weapon trap.......
It's a game. Have fun.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 07:28:26 pm »

Is there a way to edit in production of blowdarts?

I'm going to assume you know how to navigate the raws, and how to find the raws for your current game. If you don't, just ask and I'll elaborate. For an already existing world, you cannot insert a new reaction, but you can modify an existing reaction. First, find a reaction you're not using. Let's say Making Trifle Pewter Bars out of bars. In reaction_smelter.txt you'll find the reaction looks like this:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:PEWTER_TRIFLE_MAKING2]
[NAME:make trifle pewter bars (use bars)]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:300:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:TIN]
[REAGENT:B:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:COPPER]
[PRODUCT:100:3:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:PEWTER_TRIFLE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]

If you want to make wooden blowdarts, you can replace it with this:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:PEWTER_TRIFLE_MAKING2]
[NAME:make wooden blowdarts]
[BUILDING:CRAFTSMAN:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE]
[PRODUCT:100:10:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BLOWDARTS:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:REAGENT_ID:A:NONE]
[SKILL:WOODCRAFT]

As long as you don't change the identifier (PEWTER_TRIFLE_MAKING2) you can make the name whatever you want. That reaction right there, you might be able to tell, should make you ten wooden blowdarts from one log. I can't make any guarantees- I have very little experience with modding, and I haven't tested this for laziness reasons. I assume you want metal and bone blowdarts too, and for that I would recommend going to the modding board and checking in with the workshop thread.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 07:40:04 pm »

Minor correction: [REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:NONE:NONE] and [PRODUCT:100:10:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BLOWDARTS:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE].

Note that if you mod your civilization to be able to make blowdarts (which requires a regen), this custom reaction becomes unnecessary - you'll be able to make blowdarts the exact same ways you make bolts (metal at forge, wood/bone at craftsdwarf's).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 10:04:52 pm »

2 things:

1) The easiest way to let dwarfs use blow-guns and their respective ammo is to add this underneath the crossbow weapon thingy under [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN]
[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_BLOWGUN]
          [AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BLOWDARTS]

2) For style points, dig out a long, 2 tile-wide hallway. Put a 2x2 square of upright spike traps connected to a pressure plate, and fill the traps with menacing wooden spikes, 10 per trap. Then, place the blowgun traps--again, ten blowguns per trap--in that same hallway, like this:
|:Wall
B:Blowgun trap
.:Floor

|B.|
          |.B|
          |B.|

At the end of the hallway, carve out a 5x5 chamber. Put a pressure plate in the centre, and connect it to lots of stone fall traps in the chamber. Place an artifact (or masterwork) golden figurine of a forgotten beast on the plate. Fill the chamber with blowgun traps in the same checkered pattern in the hallway. Abandon, and come back to the fort in adventure mode. Make your way to the hallway, and pick up a couple of handfuls of sand and put them in a bag (bag, NOT your backpack). Make your way into the hall, and be careful of where you placed the traps in fort mode. Make your way carefully through the chamber, adjacent to, but not directly on, the pressure plate. Drop your weapon(s) and shield(s), and 'r'emove the bag of sand from your pack. Stand on the plate, pick up the figurine, and immediately drop the sand bag. Grab your weapon(s) and shield(s) and GET THE FREAKIN' HECK OUT OF THERE. Run straight through the dart traps and out of the hall. Now all you need is a massive boulder to come roll after you, an arch-nemesis to take the figurine from you, a horde of angry warriors shooting at you, and a flying mount, preferably with a trained pilot who has a pet snake. If When this is possible, jump onto the mount, fly off, and shout this at your pilot: "There's a big snake in the front seat of the plane saddle of the mount, Jock!" or whatever your pilot's name is, and have him shout back: "Oh, that's just my pet snake Ritchie!" and shout back "I hate snakes, Jock! I hate 'em!" Have him shout back: "Come on! Show a little backbone, will ya?!?" or something along these lines.

See what I'm goin' after???