Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven science: which weapon is best?  (Read 5949 times)

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven science: which weapon is best?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 07:06:16 pm »

I disagree with your statement about axes. I find them to be far more useful than swords.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 03:01:47 am »

axes depend on the opponent.

their great against humanoids in lower quality armour since they decapitate and chop off limbs, reducing foes effectiveness at fighting back. but on larger opponents their not as good as peircing weapons or stuff that goes straight through like spears and hammers. generaly if its sommert large that dont feel pain you want spears, since they tend to screw over the bone structure and tissues, and if they do feel pain hammers are very efficient.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Knarfle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 03:45:41 am »

axes depend on the opponent.

their great against humanoids in lower quality armour since they decapitate and chop off limbs, reducing foes effectiveness at fighting back. but on larger opponents their not as good as peircing weapons or stuff that goes straight through like spears and hammers. generaly if its sommert large that dont feel pain you want spears, since they tend to screw over the bone structure and tissues, and if they do feel pain hammers are very efficient.

What about halberds, which are sort of like axes on spears?
What do you get when a Rhesus monkey steps on a weapons trap loaded with maximum adamantine blades?

Rhesus Pieces!

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 03:49:50 am »

youll ahve to do some testing on that, ive never used exotic weaponry bar picks.
-because something thats a mix between an axe and a spear and can be trained up to legendary quickly is damn usefull-
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 09:44:38 am »

Well, do  halberds have a piercing attack? If not, I'll have to mod one in.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 11:02:15 am »

They do, and i once found it useful in poking a hydra to death with my comrades. :P
It has the same stab values as a short sword in the raws, but given its greater size, it'll probably hit harder. I don't find an awful lot of useful halberds though, so i can't quite vouch for their performance. They're great in that an axe user gets a piercing attack, obviously.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 09:05:48 pm »

As for whips, unless it changed  they act as lightsabers when made of Silver,  since instead of being floppy they're more like  a tappering rod, or a very stiff fencing Foil

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 09:28:07 pm »

They are a solid tip hitting at incredible speed. Due to alien intervention, the designer of whips in DF managed to make the handle and everything but the tip of the whip weigh absolutely nothing while concentrating the tiny end into an incredibly dense lump comprising all of the weight. When made of silver this effect is lulztiplied because silver is already stupid dense (beaten by Gold, Lead and Platinum but these are only moodable)

It's a pity there's no way to mod smelters so I could equip my fortress with platinum whips. The shattered bones would go down in history.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2011, 11:09:30 pm »

It's a pity there's no way to mod smelters so I could equip my fortress with platinum whips. The shattered bones would go down in history.

Dude, you are SO WRONG.

I'm going to make this mod just for you, right now.

Here's your mod!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 11:14:24 pm by Putnam »

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 05:21:25 pm »

I recall at least once cutting a human being in half at the lower body with an axe....
What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2011, 09:42:03 am »

I think your result with axes being crap and losing all the time is explained by the axes being heavier than other weapons you tested.
imo weak arena dwarves are weak and can't swing them as hard as swords and hammers.
It's the same thing as with hammers performing better than maces in the arena despite the raws  say maces should be equal or even better.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 11:39:41 pm »

I recall at least once cutting a human being in half at the lower body with an axe....
I did that a couple of times with a scimitar. Apparently, they have a greater chance to sever an arm or a head or an upper body...

I killed a hammerman in three hits whilst wielding a standard quality iron great axe. Disappointingly enough, when I struck his head, it didn't get a flying lesson.
Pages: 1 [2]