Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moody dorf help  (Read 1024 times)

ZeroBubble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Moody dorf help
« on: August 14, 2011, 04:02:13 pm »

I have a possessed doft that has claimed a forge, but is refusing to go and fetch materials. 

He is looking for bones... yes., tree... life., and bars... metal.

The workshop is in a room with piles of wood, metal bars and bones.

He has hands, arms and legs. 

There are no warrens, he's not in the military, and all his metal smithing skills are all enabled.

What am I missing?!!!! The artifact haul so far has been pathetic, slate bracelets, flutes and an animal trap, so I'd like to see if I can get something cool out of him before he goes nuts.

spook54321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moody dorf help
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 04:16:40 pm »

Press 't' and hover over the building, what materials has he already collected.
Are the materials forbidden?
Are they actually bones in the room, or has it been filled with skulls, horns, hooves, etc and all your bones used in other projects?
It's the same reason why sharks don't attack lawyers, professional courtesy.

This (small) sig of mine

ZeroBubble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 04:44:08 pm »

All that is in the workshop is the bronze crossbows that were being made previously and haven't been carted off to the weapons pile yet. So he hasnt even started collecting yet.

It's just bones in the pile - they've been taken from my main pile elsewhere. Nothing in the room is forbidden.

I've even tried locking the room for a while, in case he was after something else further away, no dice.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 04:53:09 pm »

If he has claimed a Forge, then the first material he will collect is the metal bars.  He won't touch the wood or bones until he has the right metals.

What metal bars do you have, and how far away are they?  Are they in stockpiles, or part of something, already claimed for a job or forbidden?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 05:03:50 pm »

Odds are you don't have the right type of metal.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

ZeroBubble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 05:17:28 pm »

I didn't realise they could be after a specific kind of metal - I have everything but platinum pretty much.

The dorf dies then, so be it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 05:20:39 pm »

I've never seen moods require a specific type of metal, but I've heard it can happen.  Check his preferences to see if he likes a specific type of metal, and make sure the metal you have is available and not forbidden or tasked for a job already.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ZeroBubble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 05:37:10 pm »

Problem solved.

I have a magma smelter at the other end of the fort that is locked off to prevent things disappearing to the hospital. I unlocked that door and lo! Ulrist McPicky is trotting off.

Can they go crazy whilst collecting? He's been waiting for ages and this now has the potential to be a pretty cool artifact!

ETA he likes bronze, and I had plenty of that kicking around. Weird.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 05:46:58 pm »

I don't think they can go crazy when they're collecting, otherwise PlanePacked would never have been made.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 08:20:26 pm »

A dwarf has a "crazy meter" while in a mood. When that meter hits ten, he grabs the first fluffy wambler he can find and starts going all Punisher on the rest of the fort. As soon as he grabs something he needs, that meter goes back to zero.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.