Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Carpenter's wood stolen while working  (Read 535 times)

Freakazoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.corpnews.com
Carpenter's wood stolen while working
« on: October 31, 2006, 10:04:00 pm »

I didn't have a problem with this last build, but I noticed today that when a carpenter grabbed a piece of wood to work on, some stupid dwarf would literally steal the wood right out of his hands while he was working on it! The dwarf would then go put it in the wood stockpile.

What's worse is, the carpenter wouldn't even notice it's gone! He would keep working until whatever he was working on timed out, end up not making the item he was working on, and go get a piece of wood. The process repeated quite frequently but not always, as sometimes he got his work done.

I understand there is some issue with how dwarves go about carrying items around, but I haven't seen any specific examples of resources literally being taken out of the hands of the workers. None of my other workers (mason, crafter, mechanic, ect.) suffered from such theft. I did stop the thefts from disabling wood gathering, but it's rather inconvenient when I have wood that still needs cutting/moving around.

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
Re: Carpenter's wood stolen while working
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 11:29:00 pm »

I believe I've seen this before, but I don't think I ever have when the carpenter actually had the wood in hand.
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 11:32:00 pm »

I've seen that happen with a fish that was getting cleaned.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 01:24:00 am »

Do you guys get a "double tagged item" error anywhere?  This is way more serious than any of the bin issues in that it could really tie the internal references in knots.  None of the new code can get passed the "TSK" marker, and nothing should without generating a message of some kind.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 02:32:00 am »

Well, this is kinda somewhat related to it and not as serious - but can't the items that are currently being used get some sort of "in use" tag so that if a dwarf has to put his work on hold for the time being, no one else will take all the items that are used and put them back in the stockpile?

Freakazoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.corpnews.com
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 02:38:00 am »

No, I didn't get any errors. I started over with a new fort but have been keeping wood transfers in check this time. I can let it go and see if I get anything again.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 02:53:00 am »

I think this might be related to the decoration bug I just fixed come to think of it.  Maybe it'll be fine in the next one.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 03:42:00 am »

In errorlog.txt I've got four "double-tagged item:Sleep" entries, but that's it.

It's possible the fishery thing I mentioned was a cleaned fish being taken to a barrel, not the raw one which was being cleaned.  I remember seeing it early in my DF experience, and I wasn't always sure what was what.