Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Must have Fallout: NV mods?  (Read 14899 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Must have Fallout: NV mods?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 12:46:03 pm »

I used FOOK for FO3, they lost me a while back when someone mentioned roaming football gangs and removing the securitrons on the strip. Might not have happened, but eh.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 12:51:27 pm »

I used FOOK for FO3, they lost me a while back when someone mentioned roaming football gangs and removing the securitrons on the strip. Might not have happened, but eh.
Nope, that never happened. And probably never will, as this never was the FOOK team's plan. Makes them better than any other big mods, who change so much you might as well not call it Fallout New Vegas any more.

I'm curious, where did you hear that?

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 01:22:40 pm »

Looking through my current mod selection, the non-graphical ones I consider vital (since I have a tonne of "holy shit hi-res mods". I have 3GB of VRAM and I aim to use it all!):

Realistic Battle And Dynamic Combat: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34921
Now, I'm the first to cry "Too FPS" with some mods. I think New Vegas should be predominantly an RPG, so stats should play a vital role (i.e if you have a low guns skill you shouldn't be able to hit shit). That being said, this rebalances weapon DT/DRs to something sensible, so if someone is wearing Power Armour a BB-Gun is not going to bring them down just because you're damned persistent. It basically makes the way the numbers get crunched feel more Fallout 1/2.

FO1TAG: http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35347
Restores the Fallout 1/2 style of Tagging skills, where they rise by 2 points instead of 1 when you level them up. It just feels better and makes tagged vs non-tagged skills still relevant after five levels.

Logical Reputation Shifts: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34944
Makes it so if you shoot one dude to death that faction doesn't vilify you for life. Now you have to be a bit more of a dick to make everybody hate you.

Project Nevada: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40040
Worth it just for the sprinting and bullet-time alone, and the toggleable stealth boys are neat too. Since sprinting and bullet time eat up your action points like delicious chocolate I consider this not-too-FPS.

Radio New Vegas: The Secret Stash: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=37029
Adds 80 more songs to the radio, all of which keep the amazing 50s theme. I love old jazz :D

WME - Weapon Mod Expansion: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=37576
There are a lot of competing mods for Weapon Mod tweaks, this is the one I tend towards.

Also:
Missing "Inventory is a Backpack" from Oblivion, I made a custom mod that drastically lowers the amount you can carry (from 150 + Strength*10) to just Strength*15, and then added a rucksack that you have to drop and open but can carry infinite weight (largely because I haven't figured out how to limit the amount you can put in it). It basically forces you to think ahead as to what you're gonna take out of your inventory before-hand, since you can't access it in combat. When I can figure out things like not making it a bag of holding I may release it...but there may be a mod out there that already does this that I missed.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 01:29:47 pm »

Nope, that never happened. And probably never will, as this never was the FOOK team's plan. Makes them better than any other big mods, who change so much you might as well not call it Fallout New Vegas any more.

I'm curious, where did you hear that?

The football gang idea was in a suggestions thread after FOOK stopped updating for FO3 before NV was released.

Removing securitrons was in a discussion thread right after FOOK was ported to NV.

Both were on FOOKunity, both were responded to positively by a member of the development team. I didn't really expect them, but NV kept me busy without a ton of mods, so I never really checked back with FOOK. I'll look at the release notes before I go back to NV though, just to see what they've done.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 01:38:05 pm »

Turns out I was trying to install a FO3 mod because the FO3 and FNV Nexuses are separate sites :P

I think I prefer playing FO3/NV more as a FPS than an RPG. Same problems as with Oblivion, either you don't match your enemies or they don't match you. VATS just results in exploded heads 90% of the time, so playing it like a FPS, and crit head shotting something at ranges your VATS gives you 0% on, makes me feel like I did something.

Need to get the NSE installed, so I can try the sprint mod at least (bullet time seems like overkill, particularly since the game already has turbo. It sounds like a neat implementation though.)

Wrestling with the decision to either finish the game with my current character and then install all the wasteland life/enemy mods....or to just do it now. If I let myself, I'll play 90% of the game through on this character, extra areas and all, and that's not conducive to a second playthrough, even with mods. I'm Lvl 14 and I haven't even discovered New Vegas >.>

One thing I want someone to suggest is a good mod for scarcity. Do higher difficulties result in more scarcity? Because on normal hardcore, ammo seems only slightly too common.....but food and aids are way too common. I mean, I want food and ammo to be so scarce that I have to eat half of what I find just to stay alive, and taking all those perks actually means something. I know time scaling would accomplish this sort of, but it seems like trying to swat a fly with a missile launcher. And time scalers can introduce a lot of conflicts.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 01:42:14 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 01:45:22 pm »

One thing I want someone to suggest is a good mod for scarcity.
Project Nevada includes a configurable loot "balancer".
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2011, 01:54:05 pm »

Gar....Maybe I should just gut my current install and save and restart with PN.

Would Project Nevada be incompatible with anything I've posted here, or IWS or Random Encounters? The biggest ones I'm concerned about keeping are Nevada Skies and Electro Town (which I can give up if PN does its own lighting things.)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 01:59:17 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2011, 02:01:25 pm »

One thing I want someone to suggest is a good mod for scarcity.
Project Nevada includes a configurable loot "balancer".
That requires IIRC Mod Configuration Menu. It let's you configure only food, ammo and chem.

FOOK has also optional scarcer loot mod, although there is still IMO too much loot.

I'm using both with FOOK scarcity on hardest and Project Nevada loot rates set low. Biggest problem are those items laying all around on ground (ie. not in containers or enemy/NPC inventories.)

PS: Does someone know something like Reneer's Guard Overhaul for New Vegas? Those all-knowing guards/troops/legionaries/whatever are very annoying. If no one sees the crime, there shouldn't be one.

Fake edit: And PN is compatible with all those mods (or at least I am using all them without problems so far.)

Real edit: Above meaning those mentioned by nenjin (IWS, Random Encounters, Nevada Skies and Electro Cities)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 02:02:56 pm by anzki4 »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2011, 02:05:26 pm »

Heh, sorry.

Does PN do weight rebalancing too? Because I have a mod for that to add chem and misc items weights, and I'm nervous about combining it with anything else that's doing a lot of item changes. (Realistic Weight Overhaul RWO)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 02:09:25 pm by nenjin »

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2011, 02:51:42 pm »

Heh, sorry.

Does PN do weight rebalancing too? Because I have a mod for that to add chem and misc items weights, and I'm nervous about combining it with anything else that's doing a lot of item changes. (Realistic Weight Overhaul RWO)
Doesn't matter, really. Whatever's later in the load list will be in effect.
It's not like conflicting mods really do any harm.

So just put your weight overhaul later in the list and you're done.
Pages: 1 [2]