Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]

Author Topic: NY times article on DF  (Read 57179 times)

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NY times article on DF
« Reply #345 on: August 11, 2011, 11:08:24 am »

I'm not sure I believe that Toady actually codes on this game every day. Not having a schedule or anyone to answer to tends to breed that sort of thing. I'm not saying I blame him or I'd do anything different, I just don't really think he spends as much time coding as he claims in the dev log. Then again, the NY Times guy was with him for 5 days, so .....perhaps he does.

Nah, I think you're greatly underestimating the mental focus needed to program a game like this (well to program anything complex, really). My bet is Toady works in 4-6hour bursts of pure focus, he referenced this recently when talking about 'mind-bending' bugs in either a devlog or interview. You just can't produce something like this while only working a couple hours a day.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 11, 2011, 12:34:40 pm »

Footkerchief, that was in March 2010. Your memory is inhuman...
Look at this avatar. He never said he was human.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 11, 2011, 05:38:35 pm »

You forget Foot's origin story.  He is the search engine turned sentient.  The pure awesome from DF itself merged with the awesome of the stories on the forum within the virtual womb of the forum's search system.

The resulting being is referred to as Footkerchief, and is worshiped in a somewhat similar fashion as the Pope within the church of the One Toad.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 12, 2011, 02:12:33 am »

I'm not sure I believe that Toady actually codes on this game every day. Not having a schedule or anyone to answer to tends to breed that sort of thing. I'm not saying I blame him or I'd do anything different, I just don't really think he spends as much time coding as he claims in the dev log. Then again, the NY Times guy was with him for 5 days, so .....perhaps he does.

I'd like to redirect you to the last time you started this discussion.

Interesting...I wonder what LotL is trying to achieve.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 12, 2011, 07:43:47 am »

The resulting being is referred to as Footkerchief, and is worshiped in a somewhat similar fashion as the Pope within the church of the One Toad.

Does this mean we can look forward to toilet paper in the colors of his avatar?

Seriously:  Vatican Toilet Paper
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #350 on: August 14, 2011, 12:16:52 am »

Dwarf Fortress, which never unfolds the same way twice.

I think this describes DF perfectly. Last week's fortress had a cavern where the bedrooms were supposed to be. It messed up my whole layout, forcing me to build the bedrooms entrance stairwell 21 tiles to the left of the dining room.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]