Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Speed with new release  (Read 480 times)

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Speed with new release
« on: October 30, 2006, 01:54:00 pm »

The new release slows down tremendously on starting.  Like, maybe 30-40% of what it's been every other version.  Old version is still crisp and fast (ish).  The intro movie is especially appalling, but even gameplay is boggy.  My computer's been acting wonky the past few days, so it *could* be me.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Speed with new release
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 02:17:00 pm »

It's been normal over here.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 03:36:00 pm »

I noticed some slowiness as well.

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 04:50:00 pm »

The only thing I've noticed, is how long it takes my farmers to start planting a new seed after they finish a planting; it takes a good 15-20 squares of idle walking before they notice that there's a new planting job (they have every other activity turned off).

Juntei

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 07:23:00 pm »

It seems my proficient miner wasn't much faster than the novice miner i had

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 12:15:00 am »

Been experimenting some - the overall game speed is laggy.  The animations on water are still abnormally (appropriately) fast, but dwarf speed, even when tampered with in the raws, is nearly unbearable.  By far the worst is the lag after a key press.  While the game speed is playable (especially if I'm doing something else, like surfing the internet), the keys are slow to respond.  It's like being on radio transmission to the moon.  

I tried out a much earlier version of the game, and it's laggy now, too.  My computer's pretty decent, so I need to experiment to find out what's going on.

Edit: Seems to be a driver issue.  I rolled back my drivers to solve crashes with another series of games.  If anyone's interested/having difficulties, the card's Geforce 6800, and the working drivers for DF are 91.47.  The drivers that work with the other games I'm playing are 67.03.  Grrr.  (Not to you, Toady, just in general.  Or maybe towards Nvidia.)

[ October 31, 2006: Message edited by: dav ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 03:57:00 am »

These driver problems always amaze me...  changing them around seems to fix all kinds of technical problems.  Maybe the video drivers can do file ports too.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 10:45:00 am »

Yeah, it's weird to me.  It's bad enough with super-duper graphics games, but for ASCII characters?  Seriously?  I mean, I know you're not programming in Assembler, but you wouldn't think the video drivers would be the problem.  And the crash bug on one of the other games complains about DirectX, and another complains about copyright protection.  All because of the drivers.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 06:41:00 pm »

Game is running faster now. I believe it was because my ATI card had crashed.

SquidDNA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 10:43:00 am »

I just updated my nvidia drivers to 93.71 (on a GF6600) and I think DF performance has taken a major hit-- with a population around 100 and a maximum amount of pets, I've got dwarves taking a step every half-second. I'll see if rolling back fixes.
Relicnews Forums Fleet Biologist

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 04:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by SquidDNA:
<STRONG>I just updated my nvidia drivers to 93.71 (on a GF6600) and I think DF performance has taken a major hit-- with a population around 100 and a maximum amount of pets, I've got dwarves taking a step every half-second. I'll see if rolling back fixes.</STRONG>

Make sure you dont have any animals locked in a room somewhere.   I get this exact symptom if I forget to unlock one of my doors and my animals start getting stuck behind it.