Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Breaching an aquifer  (Read 1449 times)

Subdane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Breaching an aquifer
« on: August 13, 2011, 09:13:37 am »

Allright I have embarked on an area full of sand and clay, and an aquifer 4-5 lvls beneath.

I never tried playing on an map with an aquifer before, I read about breaching an aquifer with a "plug" I did this with 3 layers of earth. it collapsed and my miner broke several bones in the process :( But the aquifer remains.......

Whats the problem? The "plug" i 7x7 big and 3 lvls high. Is it not big enough or is it because its all sand and clay??

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breaching an aquifer
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 09:40:39 am »

It's probably a multi-level aquifer. You'll need to set up a new breach point or use multiple levels of pumps.

My preferred breaching technique is to look for a stone inclusion of some sort that's not part of the aquifer.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Subdane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 10:26:04 am »

It's probably a multi-level aquifer. You'll need to set up a new breach point or use multiple levels of pumps.

My preferred breaching technique is to look for a stone inclusion of some sort that's not part of the aquifer.

Could you elaborate that? new breach point? Stone inclusion? You mean find a spot thats not aquifer? that could take a really long time :(

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 10:31:36 am »

New breach point: I assume you've already used up the earth you'd need to make a new plug, so you're going to have to set up somewhere else so you can drop two seperate plugs: one for the top layer and a smaller one for the next layer that falls through the center of the previous plug.

Stone inclusion: I find them suprisingly often, actually. Some stones can form inside aquifers but can't become them, so if you find a large block of one of them you can dig through there.

EDIT: I haven't done a plug-breach myself, this is just what I understand of the theory.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 10:44:17 am by (name here) »
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Subdane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 10:51:44 am »

Already tried making another plug somewhere else, but not two at the same spot, as nothing happens to the first layer of the aquifer.

But I guess im in luck because a found a stone inclusion instead :D Got through the aquifer!! First found mud stone but dug 2 lvls deeper and found Gabbro so far :)

Still it bothers me with the plug, would like to find out how it works.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 11:03:55 am »

The plug is fun once you work out how to do it, basically you need to channel a hole for the plug, then dig around the plug on the next higher level and dig over the plug on the next level up.....   remember to leave a connection somewhere that you can dig out last to make it drop... And make sure your miner stands on the correct side.
Multiple levels of plug is slightly trickier but basically the same, just remember to only drop a ring from the outside of your plug, leaving the rest of it connected by the ceiling , then carve your next plug from the smaller remains of the original plug, channel out a hole for it in the new floor created by the dropped part of your first plug, drop your new plug into the hole, and repeat as nessicary making smaller and smaller rings/plugs untill you reach the bottom of the aquifer.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Subdane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 12:14:46 pm »

I get all that but nothing happens when I drop the "plug"

How do I insert a picture of a quick illustration of what I do?

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 02:26:40 pm »

I always use the plug method. Annoyingly enough, it occasionally doesn't work, and the bottom level of the plug becomes part of the aquifer itself.

If I do have to breach a multilevel aquifer, I'd designate an 11x11 square of down stairs, designate up/down stairs for a few levels down, designate up stairs on the level of stone or dirt above the aquifer, channel out all the dirt below the plug, channel down from the surface (leaving one part of the top level of dirt un-channeled), and clear out the area. Once it's all clear, I designate a channel on the tile of dirt that hasn't been channeled out yet. Once the channeling is done, the plug falls down into the water (and kicks up a lot of dust). If one level of aquifer, GREAT!!! Lather, rinse, and repeat until you've breached the aquifer.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 05:09:27 pm »

Plugging works fine, you did drop it into a channeled out section of the aquifier stone right? If the plug is more then 3x3 there's always a wall of non water bearing walls to dig next to once the plug is in place.

That said I did experience some bizare things dropping plugs into aquifiers last time, with half my plug myseteriously disappearing in the fall.

Subdane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 06:26:02 am »

Should I actually breach the aquifer?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/theplug.png/
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 01:18:14 am by Subdane »

Subdane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 06:55:12 am »

Not sure how to do this but ive tried illustrate what ive been doing. Should I actually breach the aquifer?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/theplug.png/

Got it!! :) gotta breach the aquifer, so that the stone falls down in the water.
One sidenote its better to drop the plug from the top instead of the bottom ;)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 01:19:07 am by Subdane »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 07:05:15 am »

I usually find myself connecting with a support, for no reason other than because I can. :D

Subdane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 07:47:48 am »

I usually find myself connecting with a support, for no reason other than because I can. :D

Ill try that nex time :D