Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Request: A job prioritization system  (Read 935 times)

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Request: A job prioritization system
« on: August 11, 2011, 03:37:31 pm »

Probably my biggest annoyance in playing this great game is that you cannot prioritize jobs - i.e. you cannot tell your weaponsmith to make weapons, and haul only if no weapons are requested at the forge. Which means that your fortress either has to be somewhat inefficient, or you have to go mad switching jobs on and off in dwarf therapist

Is there any mod/program that makes this possible? Or alternatively, a way to quickly switch on/off all hauling labors in dwarf therapist?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 03:39:26 pm by ioi101 »

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Request: A job prioritization system
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 04:57:09 pm »

I'm not aware of any mod for it but you could in therapist have two different saved 'jobs', one for pure [job X] and the other for [job x] + hauling/etc.

This would lead to lots of extra job categories (even if you limited it to 'important' jobs you still have metalsmith (which itself breaks into several parts), mason, cook/brewer/farmer, etc, etc, etc).  But its the only way to do what you are suggesting that I can think of.

Frankly what I'd prefer to see that would be (arguably) easier is to move jobs up on the task list (unless there is a way to do that I don't know of).  In other words when you look at your job list and you see all the things that are going to be done if you could push important jobs to the top (also useful when you'd rather your dwarves finish building that wall rather then move stone cups to the stockpile).

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 05:14:54 pm »

...or try to tell your doctors "no, really, that sock can wait. go look at the guy with the busted innards who has been waiting in the hospital for months"

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 05:27:25 pm »

Or alternatively, a way to quickly switch on/off all hauling labors in dwarf therapist?

Yes. Right click any of the hauling boxes for a particular dwarf and it'll bring up "Toggle hauling for [whoever]", this turns all hauling on/off.

Also if you have your dwarves sorted somehow, say by profession, you can similarly turn on/off all hauling for all members of that profession at once. I do this a lot when, for example, I have nothing I need immediately mined and a hauling backlog, with two clicks you can have all your miners have all hauling turned back on.
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 08:46:14 am »

You can also create a custom profession called "Micromanage Me" which has zero labors enabled.  If you're using reasonable presets, then it's simple to find the dwarf who is critical for a given task.  Force-clear his labors, enable the one labor that you want, and crack the whip.  If he tries to drink or sleep, use squad orders to frog-march him to the work site.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 11:29:43 am »

Or alternatively, a way to quickly switch on/off all hauling labors in dwarf therapist?

Yes. Right click any of the hauling boxes for a particular dwarf and it'll bring up "Toggle hauling for [whoever]", this turns all hauling on/off.

Also if you have your dwarves sorted somehow, say by profession, you can similarly turn on/off all hauling for all members of that profession at once. I do this a lot when, for example, I have nothing I need immediately mined and a hauling backlog, with two clicks you can have all your miners have all hauling turned back on.

Thanks, this helps alot. I suppose there is no way to mod in a priority system.