Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fortress flood for a newbie. Anything I can do  (Read 6211 times)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress flood for a newbie. Anything I can do
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 08:48:33 am »

OK will do, and I dont suppose you could answer one quick question? Can my own dawrves fall into my traps? thanks
Yes, if they goes unconscious or get webbed on them.

warriorbearman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 08:51:04 am »

so if i laden my entrance hallway with stone traps will it kill my dwarves? if so where should I put my traps? Thanks

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 08:56:30 am »

so if i laden my entrance hallway with stone traps will it kill my dwarves? if so where should I put my traps? Thanks
Stonefall traps are effectively useless, alternate between weapon and cage traps, you can put them all over without worrying the only time your dorfs can be hurt is if they get badly injured and pass out. I like to put choke points at the entrance but be careful not to send your dorfs to fight on them, one of my swordmasters was choked out by a cyclops on top of a trap filled with 3 serrated steel blades, 3 spiked steel balls, and 4 menacing steel spikes. He could have survived being choked but he was turned into salsa by the trap.

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 09:02:35 am »

Do the dwarfy thing and turn your entrance hallway into a gore-slathered abattoir. Stone traps at first but once your metal industry is up and running anything that doesn't smash, stab or send huge chunks flying off the target is unacceptable.

That being said, dwarves and other friendlies will only set off any kind of trap if they are either caught in giant spider webs while on the trap or fall unconscious/asleep on the trap. Set a burrow that takes up all the safe areas of your fort so that when you sound an alert every dwarf will flee into the fort. After that, anyone that decides to pass out on your jumbo blender has it coming.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 09:09:30 am »

Oh, it's also important to note that a stone trap is a one shot deal, after which it will need reloading. Keep this in mind and set your safe burrow to not include the traps so your dwarves won't do their usual dumbass-tango right into the middle of an ambush to reload the trap or claim socks. When you get around to weapon traps the same logic applies as weapon traps will occasionally jam from all the bodies stuck in them. Also make sure you have a drawbridge or something to seal off your fort from the traps so that anything that makes it through won't be able to just rampage through the place.

One more note about traps: keep an eye on the quality of mechanisms and weapons you're using. Better quality mechanisms make more accurate traps and better quality/better material weapons will do more damage. Also if you put crossbows in a weapon trap you'll need ammo.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 09:18:30 am »

I tend to have cage traps in my dining rooms or in hallways meeting the stairs, just in case of berserkers or invaders managing to slip past the front line. Ya know, just in case, yeah?  :D

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 09:46:22 am »

By the way, you can get rid of unsightly mud by smoothing the stone, or in the case of dirt, paving over it with a constructed floor.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 11:46:30 am »

The initial water problem can be solved by digging in from one level lower on the side, and then channeling into the dig. That'll pour the water off and keep it out of the fortress.

wrwr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 08:32:27 am »

Stone traps caused quite a few one hit kills in 40d, but now they are utterly useless. A few broken limbs here and there is all you get. The enemy simply breaks through. Don't use them.

For the start, use 10*crossbow weapon traps in your entry tunnel. You can make the crossbows and the ammo completely out of wood, which is easily accessible. And you get a skilled bowyer on the way. As early goblins are rarely fully armored, 10 wooden crossbow bolts per step at point blank range are guaranteed to hit something vulnerable and often let the target bleed to death on the spot. Many goblins don't make it to the second volley, surviving the third is uncommon. So five rows of these traps are ok for smaller ambushes. With a row or two of cage traps behind them, just in case something is immune to piercing or bleeding and gets through.

As soon as you got your steel industry up and running (which you should asap), 10*serrated steel disk traps are the way to go. Work intensive and expensive resource wise, but they cause insane damage and no enemy armor can protect against them. Even a bronze colossus ends up as heap of random body parts.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 08:36:48 am by wrwr »
Pages: 1 [2]