Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New restriction on building butcher shops  (Read 1114 times)

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New restriction on building butcher shops
« on: August 12, 2011, 08:30:40 am »

I can't bring myself to build a butcher shop in view of my livestock. (NB: I am a vegetarian.)

I keep wondering if this would be realistic: If a butchering task is carried out in view of livestock, there is a given chance (variable with distance?) per animal that the animal will go into something like a tantrum state.

Does anyone here handle livestock in a slaughterhouse setting? How do animals behave when one of their number is slaughtered in full view? I've tried finding information online about how to avoid upsetting livestock, but everything I see relates to avoiding shadows, color contrast, movement, etc. No reference is ever made to the actual killing of the animal or how it affects other animals, which I find pretty remarkable in itself.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: New restriction on building butcher shops
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 08:35:15 am »

I live in a farming area, they butcher a cows within spitting distance of their pens with no ill effects. The only thing that would cause the problem is when you shoot the animal and startle the other animals. But that's the noise from the gun and not the animal dying.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 08:40:37 am by IT 000 »

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 02:40:22 am »

If that's how You roll nothing stops You from placing walls and door around butchery. As for the most of us, this is Dwarf Fortress, we are just trying to give our animals the "doesn't care about anything anymore". On a more serious note I butcher on sight anything that is not a tomcat, not war trainable and not a pet.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Sawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 09:28:45 am »

You could also consider keeping some of your livestock alive and setting up a milking and cheese-making operation, so you won't have to butcher as much.