Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Toggle Migrants  (Read 3155 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: Toggle Migrants
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2011, 05:19:16 am »

Well if it came with an update then you'd have to restart anyway to get the new features, or am I misunderstanding?

I meant without shutting down df, editing config and launching it again.

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2011, 12:53:26 pm »

I think the fairest setup would be a toggle that can only be set before you embark; just as you choose your environment and supplies, you choose how many newcomers will be able to join you in the future.  A feature that can be toggled on and off during the game -- such as shutting off the valve of migrants during a famine and turning it back on when supplies are replenished -- would, I think, be unfair, cheating, and unrealistic.  However, as a concession, the Dwarven INS idea (or the caravan idea, etc.) could afford the player a further measure of control in-game in a way that's plausible and comes at a price (You have to spend the skill points, use the resources on an office or trade deal, have one or more nobles whining for things, etc.)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 12:56:05 pm by Batgirl1 »

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2011, 02:09:51 pm »

Rather than a toggle how about it depending purely on your situation, I mean if the second fortress of a small group isn't going to recieve much attention, however if it's supported by a huge empire and close to home expect migrants by the dozen. That way you'd still have choice but it would feel very real.
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2011, 09:53:43 pm »

Rather than a toggle how about it depending purely on your situation, I mean if the second fortress of a small group isn't going to recieve much attention, however if it's supported by a huge empire and close to home expect migrants by the dozen. That way you'd still have choice but it would feel very real.

While that's a good idea in general, I don't think it quite solves the problem.  Suppose, for example, that you want to embark on a specific biome, but the only ones that meet your criteria are right next to the big cities?  It'd be very limiting.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2011, 05:44:52 am »

While that's a good idea in general, I don't think it quite solves the problem.  Suppose, for example, that you want to embark on a specific biome, but the only ones that meet your criteria are right next to the big cities?  It'd be very limiting.

Well then you could be part of another civilization I 'spose. Not quite sure how that'd work out though
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.
Pages: 1 2 [3]