Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Putting untamed giant badgers in a pit?  (Read 602 times)

Goodwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Putting untamed giant badgers in a pit?
« on: August 10, 2011, 03:42:21 pm »

So I have a few (caged) giant badgers, which have not been tamed. I am looking to improve on our treatment of goblin POW's by adding some "guards" to their prison pit. How would I get them into the pit? I have the pit designated as pit/pond, and I tried putting them in the same way I did the goblins (designating them to be put in the pit/pond), but they attaked and killed 2 dwarves.
Please hurry, the badgers are hungry and the goblins are stuck in a pit!

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: Putting untamed giant badgers in a pit?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 03:49:57 pm »

Place the cages and link to a lever?
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Goodwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 03:54:03 pm »

the cages are above ground. How do I get them underground?

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 03:54:50 pm »

Build them using the build menu... then link them to a lever. Pull the lever to release the occupant.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Alchemical Engineer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 03:55:56 pm »

What kind of pit are we talking about? Is this a standard hatch cover opening? Make sure your stockpile for cages to be emptied is entirely adjacent to one or more hatch covers over the pit!

Top floor
.....        W Wall
..H..       . Floor
.....        H Hatch cover
.....        D Door or drawbridge opening

Bottom floor
WWDWW
W...W
W...W
W...W
WWWWW

Some creatures like semi-megabeasts (minotaurs) and goblin thieves and child snatchers have a chance of escaping cages when dumped. If a dwarf has a good agility stat they will have a higher chance of succeeding, in my experience. I don't know if this behavior includes giant badgers.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 06:50:27 pm »

Wild animals should be pitted from no more than the tile immediately adjacent to the actual pit--thus build the cage right next to it.  Otherwise dwarves will panic from seeing a wild animal and instantly release the giant badger into your base.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?