Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lazy miner.  (Read 829 times)

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lazy miner.
« on: July 24, 2007, 04:43:00 pm »

When I bridged the chasm in my new fort, I disabled mining on my Legendary miner so that if I caused a magma flood, he wouldn't get burninated. (Good thing too, because the miner who breached the flow DID cause a flood and died instantly).

Thing is... I went back and reenabled mining on him, but he's just sitting in his room saying he has no job even though I tagged a bunch of stuff for mining, including all of the obsidian the flood caused.

How can I get him out of this rut?

EDIT: Ugh, I enabled stone hauling on him and he's doing THAT fine. He just ain't mining for some reason.

[ July 24, 2007: Message edited by: Arkan15 ]

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

ktrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy miner.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 04:50:00 pm »

He should eventually reach the task. Make sure his pick is accessible if he dropped it when you removed Mining. I know that temporarily activating a dwarf will remove the "Attend Party" task, it may be worth a shot to get him back on Mining, if you can spare the unhappy thought.
trey cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Message Board.

DR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 04:51:00 pm »

Can he get to a pick?

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 04:53:00 pm »

After hauling a few dozen stones a few seconds after I enabled it, (mmmm, perfectly agile), he suddenly went back to mining. No clue why.

Thanks anyway.

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 09:46:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Arkan15:
<STRONG>When I bridged the chasm in my new fort, I disabled mining on my Legendary miner so that if I caused a magma flood, he wouldn't get burninated. (Good thing too, because the miner who breached the flow DID cause a flood and died instantly).</STRONG>

Chance to cause floods when breaking into a new area is inversly proportional to the miner's skill.  A legendary miner should never cause a magma flood.
(Just as a testament to this, in 14 or so games I've never had the magma river flood on me.

ktrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 12:31:00 pm »

It is possible for a Legendary Miner to die in a Magma flood. It has unhappily happened to me more than once.

Now, having a Miners pick break... That's only happened once. I received an announcement about it and had to forge another. Has that happened to anyone else?

trey cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Message Board.