Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sand out from under the ice?  (Read 615 times)

Steelgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
sand out from under the ice?
« on: August 11, 2011, 10:05:53 am »

So I embarked on an evil glacier, for the challenge of it. I see from stairs and such there is sand under all the ice, or are the ice layers, not sure how to put it. Basically, I want sand, and its have to get rid of the ice completely somehow.
Digging out leaves an ice floor. I'm working on a magma melt from underneath though.
Any suggestions? 

oh yeah additional (lowercase) fun, it's on a volcano and the biggest underground cavern is 10x15 and the rest is water. Whee!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 10:28:27 am by Steelgeek »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: sand out from under the ice?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 10:29:44 am »

Can't you just dig into the sand and end up with a sand floor to gather from?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 10:33:23 am »

you can channel the ice (I think) which will make a 1 Z level hole, or dig a staircase/ramp into the ground until you hit the Z level with the sand you want, when dig sideways into the sand that you want to get. I've never done this with ice, and I'm still a bit of a novice at DF since I started playing about a month ago. Beware of cave-ins if you're gonna be digging something out from under something like that.
This space for rent

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 10:36:20 am »

So you have an ice floor and the tile beneath is a sand wall?
Try building a rock floor, then deconstructing it. I think that works. Not sure though.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 01:25:44 pm »

As I think Vattic and Fen mentioned, if you dig (not channel) the sand wall itself, won't the floor of that space become sand? It should work for glassmaking purposes, though the magma project may still be useful to bring the glassing itself closer to the surface.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 01:28:25 pm by Funburns »

Steelgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 04:17:48 pm »

I think I'm not explaining it well enough.
Imagine you embark, and every single piece of sand is an aquifer.
Now imagine every single bit of that aquifer is frozen. When you dig into it, you only get ice, ice floor, ice rocks/boulders whatever.
Constructing and deconstructing a rock floor left an ice floor.
I know its sand since digging stairs through it gives a sand stair. Also, checking on prospector, I have 31,00 black sand, and 21,000 regular sand. Using reveal shows NOTHING anywhere, even in the underground, so it has to be "trapped" in the ice.

OK weirdness. I flooded a rhyolite chamber to get some mud. Some of the floor came up as sand.  :o