Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sudden Cavern Collapse at Fortress start (33b)  (Read 410 times)

GrimmSweeper

• Bay Watcher
  • Tome of Knowledge
    • View Profile
Sudden Cavern Collapse at Fortress start (33b)
« on: November 25, 2007, 01:52:00 am »

I was hunting for magma maps this time around. Just as soon as my dwarves arrived on the scene when I get an announcement that a section of the cavern has collapsed. It was somewhat confusing, as the image was centered around the magma well and only lava plumes and spray was evident; I could not see what actually fell down.

I'm suspicious that a pool of water had accidentally spawned on top of the magma as there are two blobs of hardened obsidian on differing z-levels, seemingly floating without support in the hot liquid magma. These blobs are inaccessible from the top or to the sides and only draining the pool would allow me to dig into them (if I had wanted to).

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sudden Cavern Collapse at Fortress start (33b)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 10:17:00 am »

You are probably correct.  You might see more of those messages, I believe this is a known bug.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 12:27:00 pm »

Seems to me that magma vents are placed into an otherwise already generated map , just hollowing out the necessary space and not a hair more, meaning that if it's put just under the top of a hill, the hill will either crash down into the vent or hang over it, depending on if the hill would've been larger than the vent.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Hesitris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 07:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Align:
<STRONG>Seems to me that magma vents are placed into an otherwise already generated map , just hollowing out the necessary space and not a hair more, meaning that if it's put just under the top of a hill, the hill will either crash down into the vent or hang over it, depending on if the hill would've been larger than the vent.</STRONG>

That would explain a lot, actually. I has one vent that had an outcrop of land hanging over it like an awning. That would go along with the possibility that the vent was placed in a hill, enough to one side that it was exposed on that side, but small enough that the hill was able to support itself over the vent.