Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dry pump stack?  (Read 1000 times)

wqaopl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dry pump stack?
« on: August 09, 2011, 05:05:35 pm »

i am some what new to dwarf fortress and was looking in to pump stacks and exsperimenrted a bit. this is what i ended up with but i have no idea why it works but i like it becase it does not lag for me, i call it the dry pump stack (to be used to kill elves).

######
#_%%_#
#X##X#
######

# = wall
_ = open space
% = punp
X = stair

i havent seen it in the forums or in the wiki and i have no idea if it laggs for othere people, i would be intrested to find out if it does or not.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dry pump stack?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 05:42:10 pm »

What, exactly, is this; and how does it work?

I don't think this would lag any more than any other single pump moving nothing; which is to say, not at all. The lag of pumping comes from all the liquid movement.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 05:51:09 pm »

I don't get it, what is it supposed to DO exactly?
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 07:43:37 pm »

Dariush beat you to it wqaopl.  Cudos for coming up with it on your on none-the-less.  The basic theory is as there's no surface for the liquid to settle on, it just gets immediately passed up to the next pump above.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 07:46:43 pm »

Oh, this is just an open-air pump stack? It works. IIRC, it creates a little more lag than a normal pump stack.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 07:50:53 pm »

Really? I would've thought it'd create less because the magma didn't have time to settle and change the temperature?

wqaopl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 07:51:35 pm »

Oh, this is just an open-air pump stack? It works. IIRC, it creates a little more lag than a normal pump stack.

thax lagg is not always a problem for me but i want to cut down on it to make more intresting constructions and have more !!FUN!!.

im just wating for a elf to walk into my emty moat cos there are no briges any where...

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 07:55:01 pm »

Really? I would've thought it'd create less because the magma didn't have time to settle and change the temperature?
I don't know exactly why, I just know that testing showed that it causes more FPS slow-down than a standard pump stack.
Actually, I think it causes more lag than the improved pump stack (the less-FPS-consuming one). Can't remember how it fared against the older standard. It wasn't much of a difference, anyway.
And keep in mind that I haven't seen the thread in over a month. I think I'm correct on this, but not entirely sure.

wqaopl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 08:30:35 pm »

I don't know exactly why, I just know that testing showed that it causes more FPS slow-down than a standard pump stack.
Actually, I think it causes more lag than the improved pump stack (the less-FPS-consuming one). Can't remember how it fared against the older standard. It wasn't much of a difference, anyway.
And keep in mind that I haven't seen the thread in over a month. I think I'm correct on this, but not entirely sure.

intresting.from what i have seen  im gesing that the pumps are calculated every tic from bottom to top. so as long as each end is open the water/magma never interacts with anything in the middle. a bit like a worm hole.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 08:40:08 pm »

Found the original thread -

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85450.msg2303810#msg2303810

And yeah, the theory is that because the magma doesn't settle, there's no recalculation of temperature.  Doesn't look like anyone proved or disproved it though.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 08:47:08 pm »

I've experimented with open pump stacks (in a magma superweapon design) and they do spill liquids to the sides. That staircase would be splashed.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 08:47:57 pm »

Just realized this is a top-down view. It makes a lot more sense now.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 10:54:39 pm »

Just a little side note, now that I see what it is..  If the output at the top of that stack ever fills up, things will start getting messy REAL fast.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.