Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stop soldiers running outside?  (Read 572 times)

Spoonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stop soldiers running outside?
« on: August 11, 2011, 08:25:19 am »

How is it done?

I understand how to prevent the civilians from going beyond my main gate but the army does what it likes. Im under siege and wish to open the gate to attract the enemy within shooting range but my little armed chaps bolt off outside only to get put 6ft under by a goblin horde.

Ive been testing out the various military menus and options but none appear to keep them inside. Burrows, I swear this is the answer but the army does not seem to respond to them.

Thanks

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Stop soldiers running outside?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 08:47:32 am »

Station them inside.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 08:49:48 am »

If they have line-of-sight to the enemy, they will charge suicidally and there's nothing you can do to stop them.

Station them using the (s)quads menu inside and around a corner/on the other side of a door from your courtyard, lower the bridge and let some goblins in, close the drawbridge, then tell your (s)quad to attack.

Spoonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 08:57:21 am »

If they have line-of-sight to the enemy, they will charge suicidally and there's nothing you can do to stop them.

Station them using the (s)quads menu inside and around a corner/on the other side of a door from your courtyard, lower the bridge and let some goblins in, close the drawbridge, then tell your (s)quad to attack.

The dwarfs are running off to pick up equipment from outside. The siege forces are way out of site by the maps edge. I tried the 'station command' but they still trot off. I thought there would be a command or an order I could set up in the military screen to keep them inside. Ive disabled 'claim ammunition' but that seems to be for the civilians only.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 09:02:33 am »

If you can. Lock a door preventing them from doing so.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 10:08:01 am »

You can forbid the outside equipment with d, b, f. Then your soldiers will not run outside to claim it. :)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 11:37:58 am »

Make a large enough weapon and armor stockpile inside once the siege is gone.  You should always station troops just out of sight from the enemy so they move as a unit rather than a beeline.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?