Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lever problems  (Read 881 times)

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
lever problems
« on: August 08, 2011, 09:54:41 pm »

i havn't played in a while, so i just started a new fortress in the newest version. and i have a problem with my levers
I made a guarded courtyard for my newest fort.  i have three entrances, two small back entrances with floodgates, also a drawbridge in the front.  i have a single lever controlling them all, however it is not working.  i need a new lever now controlling the bridge, here is my problem:

so the bridge is down and the floodgates up, however when i pull the lever only the flood gates drop, the bridge does not raise.  i then pull the bridge lever to lift it, closing the courtyard, i then pull the universal lver opening the floodgates and leaving the bridge up.  how do i fix this? 

incase it matters i linked the bridge first then thought of adding the floodgates and those came after the bridge,

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: lever problems
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 10:07:02 pm »

after further testing, i have found more problems.  pull the lever the floodgates drop and the bridge stays down.  however i pull it again and the bridge closes and the gates open...

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 10:51:25 pm »

how do i fix it?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 10:55:20 pm »

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 03:13:55 am »

or else this

Code: [Select]
      XXX
___[--]__

becomes this

XXX
___[--]XXX
XXX\______
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 03:25:42 pm »

This will be handy
or else this

XXX
___[--]__

becomes this

XXX
___[--]XXX
XXX\______

both of these confuse me, can someone please clarify?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 03:38:13 pm »

Sure.

The problem is that a single lever will send a "close" task to a drawbridge and an "open" task to a floodgate.  That means that you have to be creative if you want to make this thing work.

One option is to run a trigger (either to the floodgates or the bridge) through a water-logic NOT gate.  That's sounds complicated, but it's not so bad.  Basically, you have to make a second trigger area, such that the lever triggers a hatch, which, when open, drops water onto a pressure plate set to only trigger when there's no water on it.  You need a way to drain that water too, so its resettable; you can do that via a powered screw pump, activated by a pretoggled gear, that drains water back to the top of your not gate, or you can attach the system to sourced water, and drain it from the floodgate via, for instance, a raising bridge connected to the map edge.

If that's hard to wrap your head around, that's understandable; it takes a lot of fiddling with levers to start to be able to understand DF water logic, but the wiki page linked to will explain if you're willing to study and experiment.

The diagram I posted showed an alternate path for your bridge entrance.  Right now, you have it such that when the bridge receives a "close" trigger, it blocks access to your fort, but with a little redesign, you can make it so that an open (lowered) bridge actually blocks access to your fort, and a closed bridge allows access to your fort.  That way, when the lever sends a "close" to your bridge, it opens access via that route at the same time it sends an "open" to your floodgates.

I suppose both of these might be too complicated, when the really simple answer is, "Don't use floodgates for your rear entrances.  Use two more small bridges instead."  That would solve your problem just as well.  It's just that simple solutions aren't very interesting, when it's the perfect opportunity to become familiar with more creative solutions.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 03:54:52 pm »

would it work to have all closed, build a new lever attach all, then pull lever?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 03:55:16 pm »

Unfortunately, no.