Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Fortress of Teshkadbim  (Read 1378 times)

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
The Fortress of Teshkadbim
« on: August 08, 2011, 09:59:24 pm »

Moved to community games and stories.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 08:38:28 pm by Sting_Auer »
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortress of Teshkadbim
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 10:03:58 pm »

Community Games and Stories is the forum for stuff like this.  Good luck with your fortress though.

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 10:07:59 pm »

will the cats be the death of me?
is a 6x12, 2 room area large enough for a mayor and other nobles with requirements?
What is the best way to capture the badgers?

1. just stick to your plan an dont forget them for a year or two and your fine.
2. more then enough. ive kept most nobles happy with a 3 3x3's - i just retrofit the bedrooms on either side of an elected noble's bedroom. for tombs i just allocate a room in the catacombs.
3. cages at choke points (either natural ones like lakes, or build walls). ive even had extremly good luck just scattering a few dozen cage traps over the surface randomly.

Invaders: Our arrows will blot out the sun!
Me: Then we will fight in the SLADE.
I fear that each time it tolled out the hour, some part of our souls would mournfully yearn: "A puppy should have died just now, but didn't."

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 10:11:09 pm »

Community Games and Stories is the forum for stuff like this.  Good luck with your fortress though.

Oh... did not know that.

if an admin could move this, it would be greatly appreciated.

will the cats be the death of me?
is a 6x12, 2 room area large enough for a mayor and other nobles with requirements?
What is the best way to capture the badgers?

1. just stick to your plan an dont forget them for a year or two and your fine.
2. more then enough. ive kept most nobles happy with a 3 3x3's - i just retrofit the bedrooms on either side of an elected noble's bedroom. for tombs i just allocate a room in the catacombs.
3. cages at choke points (either natural ones like lakes, or build walls). ive even had extremly good luck just scattering a few dozen cage traps over the surface randomly.

Okay thanks!

Now, what if I want to get a few more cats in order to get more food? I really doubt I will need to, because of cheese, plants, butchering the occasional dog, etc...

Here's a question regarding my animal military: if I selectively breed dogs that have descriptions of being large, muscular, etc., will their offspring inherit their traits? or is it completely random?
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 01:21:20 am »

you can...but at the end of the day a war dog wont beat an armoured opponent. it might protect you from badgers and maybe trog's but the first armored goblin to arrive will skewer a dozen for breakfast without breaking a sweat. war giant badgers in my expierence dont survive long enough due to needing pasturing, i think bears (other then dragons and other dwarfy things) are the best.
I fear that each time it tolled out the hour, some part of our souls would mournfully yearn: "A puppy should have died just now, but didn't."

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 01:38:37 am »

war dog + melee dwarf is excellent, though.  the dog usually bites, latching on firmly.  this prevents dodging.  the gobbo can still block and parry, but at least he wont dodge.  this is also a good reason to keep a speardwarf or two around.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 02:33:16 am »

If the cats still adopt owners (and, to be honest, I haven't seen this happen for a while... nor suffered catsplosions recently, despite several non-affiliated cats and kittens in most of my recent forts), then you may find that by the time you come to cull the female adults that they are pets and thus uncullable.

Probably best, in that case, to cull the young ones as soon as possible (although kittens always used to have a reputation for adopting the butchers who were taking them to the their doom) and thus have feline meat "less at a time, but more often".  At least until some accident (or old age) catches up with momma, but I reckon you'll already have had another potential cat queen arrive in a late immigration wave, or soon afterwards, so no worries there.  Only that you might well have a number of excess breeding individuals on your hands that you can't (legitimately) butcher.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 09:41:47 am »

If the cats still adopt owners (and, to be honest, I haven't seen this happen for a while... nor suffered catsplosions recently, despite several non-affiliated cats and kittens in most of my recent forts), then you may find that by the time you come to cull the female adults that they are pets and thus uncullable.

Probably best, in that case, to cull the young ones as soon as possible (although kittens always used to have a reputation for adopting the butchers who were taking them to the their doom) and thus have feline meat "less at a time, but more often".  At least until some accident (or old age) catches up with momma, but I reckon you'll already have had another potential cat queen arrive in a late immigration wave, or soon afterwards, so no worries there.  Only that you might well have a number of excess breeding individuals on your hands that you can't (legitimately) butcher.

drawbridge.drawbridge.drawbridge. problem solved.

I think that I'm going to have a high enough amount of *copper statues* that it shouldn't be too much of an issue if a pet gets owned by an atom smasher.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 10:09:18 am »

Entry 2:

year 6, late winter.

the caravan brought a single steel anvil, which I bought in exchange for large amounts of crafts and some meat. I decided to buy some extra stuff, including a copper pick and some fish, as well as several cheap cages.

I immediately ordered my two metalworkers to create a magma forge, then create two iron anvils and build two more magma forges. I almost have ten sets of full iron armor made, and will soon have enough armor for my initial squad of ten military dwarves. The squad currently only has two dwarves in it, but I will likely be adding several more dwarves as soon as the next migrant wave comes.

the badgers seem to have left the map for now, and have been replaced by large amounts of turkeys and groundhogs. I am contemplating creating an animal trap and taming the turkeys as a new food source.

My war dog production has begun. and I have 3 war dogs now! I will be assigning them to military dwarves and important nobles once I have around 10.

food and alcohol production are at adequate levels,

Now, for my questions:

What is the best way to capture giant badgers and weaponize them?

Is it possible to use badgermen as a replacement for tigermen, or does their prone to rage feature make it impossible?

should I replace my chickens with turkeys?

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 11:55:44 am »

There seems to be a cougar wandering my map...

should I use it as a practice dummy for my swordsdwarves after they some sparring practice?

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 12:58:33 am »

i modded all the big cats to be trainable, so i cant recall if there trainable un-modded - i remember some being trainable already.

if not: either target practice...or cougar roasts.