Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No breastplates?  (Read 1521 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
No breastplates?
« on: December 03, 2011, 02:42:43 am »

So now that I've finally got some steel to make decent stuff out of, I notice that I have no option to make steel breastplates (actually, steel peytrals, using the pony mod).  I can make flexible breastplates, and hard metal armor of all other types.  I was able to make hard metal breastplates in another fort with the mod.

This is caused by my civilization not having access to these items, right?  That seems kind of... mean... of Dwarf Fortress.  I wouldn't think that you could be randomly denied a piece of armor like that.  An important one at that.

I take it that there's nothing I can do about this?  Will I just have to wait until I get down to adamantine to make adamantine breastplates?  In the meantime, will I be hugely disadvantaged by using mail shirts instead?  I had intended to layer the two, but I guess that won't be happening now.

I'm not averse to using an external utility to change this, but I'm going to guess that no such thing exists, right?

Edit: Eh, just realized this should have probably gone in the little questions thread, but what's done is done.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 02:45:54 am by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No breastplates?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 02:46:01 am »

Will I just have to wait until I get down to adamantine to make adamantine breastplates?

Pretty sure that if your civilization is unable to make steel breastplates, you wont be able to make breastplates of ANY material.
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 02:49:39 am »

Adamantine peytrals were definitely listed in the manager's menu.  I'm guessing it's because it can be used to make flexible things like cloaks, because I also had the option to make cloth peytrals (no idea if cloth breastplates are available in vanilla).  Just not any of any hard material (copper, steel, etc.)

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 03:20:50 am »

Hmm...if you make them from adamantine cloth, though...it may take lots of it (depending on how the mod's set up...there's no no one-bar-bug for cloth), and it's likely that they'll gradually disintegrate, like clothing...

It's definitely weird not having armor available...I wonder if there's anything hard coded to make the usual armor pieces 'common' to all civilizations...can this happen in vanilla as well?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 11:32:39 am »

Hmm...if you make them from adamantine cloth, though...it may take lots of it (depending on how the mod's set up...there's no no one-bar-bug for cloth), and it's likely that they'll gradually disintegrate, like clothing...

It's definitely weird not having armor available...I wonder if there's anything hard coded to make the usual armor pieces 'common' to all civilizations...can this happen in vanilla as well?

If it happens in vanilla, it's a bug, which is lucky for us then that it's not happened yet.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 01:03:08 pm »

It can happen in vanilla as well. My civ could only make low boots, but not high boots once.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 03:06:02 pm »

It can happen in vanilla as well. My civ could only make low boots, but not high boots once.

Yeah, the consensus in the pony mod thread is that it's caused by there being two types of peytrals available: soft and hard.  Since they cover the same part of the body, the game can remove one for a civilization.  This is why you might have high or low boots but not both.  I'm not sure if this could happen to breastplates in the vanilla game though.  Mail shirts might be considered a valid substitute.

This sucks though.  Guess I'm just going to have to do without real breastplates for my militia.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 03:08:25 pm »

Yeah, the consensus in the pony mod thread is that it's caused by there being two types of peytrals available: soft and hard.  Since they cover the same part of the body, the game can remove one for a civilization.  This is why you might have high or low boots but not both.  I'm not sure if this could happen to breastplates in the vanilla game though.  Mail shirts might be considered a valid substitute.

This sucks though.  Guess I'm just going to have to do without real breastplates for my militia.

Nothing too bad, you'll just have to be cautious around bolts and whips:)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 03:12:28 pm »

So, in other words, not too different from the norm. :)

In my last pony fort, probably 75% of the casualties I sustained were from bolts and whips... although I only had copper for armor.  Maybe steel mail shirts will be good enough until I can get some adamantine going.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 03:13:35 pm »

So, in other words, not too different from the norm. :)

In my last pony fort, probably 75% of the casualties I sustained were from bolts and whips... although I only had copper for armor.  Maybe steel mail shirts will be good enough until I can get some adamantine going.

A decent shield should with a skilled dwarf should remedy the problem... somewhat ;]