Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Opinions on Magicka  (Read 4050 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions on Magicka
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2011, 07:08:04 pm »

Vlad killed me once, then I reloaded and somehow managed to throw up a rain shield and zap the fuck out of him on his first charge into me. It literally took all of 2 seconds. I thought the game had bugged out because I skipped the text and went into the fight and he literally ran one way, charged and exploded. Was hilarious.

I can't bring myself to play Magicka much. Maybe a few rounds of challenges but that's it. As a linear game Magicka has much less replayability than you'd think at first blush.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2011, 07:23:18 pm »

Magicka is a game that is funny for one playthrough on your own, but only really shines when playing multiplayer.  It reminded me of good times had playing Worms 3D and Gunstar Heroes with friends.  And yes, hilarity will ensue.

KG

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2011, 10:31:49 pm »

Yup. Especially if one of your team (i.e me) liked using beams primarily and my other friend couldn't warn me when he was about to shield up. Then there were three of us...

Plus the music is epic. Awesomefully epic.
Everybody!

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2011, 01:04:30 pm »

Yup. Especially if one of your team (i.e me) liked using beams primarily and my other friend couldn't warn me when he was about to shield up. Then there were three of us...

Plus the music is epic. Awesomefully epic.

That reminds me of a couple times when I threw up a 360 shield to give us all a breather, and my well meaning friend decides to shoot a life beam around to heal everyone.  BOOM.

KG

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2011, 01:24:33 pm »

No the last boss is easy... he just takes SOO long.

The Dragon is just really really annoying and tough once he hits you with mind control because after that he sends rocks to hit you meaning you have to find out what "Shield" has been reassigned onto.

Disclaimer: I haven't played it in months, myself (except for getting a steam summer camp achievement). I did the campaign singleplayer since it was bugged and didn't work multiplayer back then.

He actually hurt you? How did that happen? :P

I just teleported to his stomach and then stabbed him repeatedly until he died. He couldn't figure out how to hit me.

I don't remember how I beat the last boss, but I'm pretty sure it involved nullifying everything he cast. The other part of it was probably hitting him with the most overpowered beam spell (one of the arcane steam lightning combos, QFQFASA or QFQFQFAS or something. That probably doesn't work as well now.). Fighting imprisoned!Grimnir wasn't that hard either. I froze him and hit him with cold beams for massive damage. Nullify could take out the ghosts, or shields could block their shots.

The hardest part of the game was the part where you get sent to the islands to fight all those mages (after meeting Grimnir, when he concludes that you must be tested before facing him), especially the ones that go LOL WATER BEAM FALL TO YOUR DEATH OVER AND OVER at the very beginning. There were staves which had an emergency teleport feature to save you from falling to your death, but the most likely place you would find one was those very same mages with those water beams, and you would have had to have known to grab one of their staves before you killed them all, since there's no chance to pick up loot after they're all dead. Grab one and the rest of the islands become much safer, however.

Edit: Chrome neglected to point out that 'singelplayer' was not spelled correctly, but was more than happy to point out that 'singleplayer' wasn't a word either once I had corrected my spelling. Spellcheck, what do you mean spellcheck isn't a word? I reject your reality and substitute my own!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 01:29:10 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 2 [3]