Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Fortress of Teshkadbim: A not-so-good players fortress.  (Read 1208 times)

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
The Fortress of Teshkadbim: A not-so-good players fortress.
« on: August 09, 2011, 08:32:04 pm »

NOTE: I realized this was in the wrong section before, so I have reposted it here and am closing the other thread.

Hello everyone!

I have been around these forums for a while, and have been playing dwarf fortress for about the same amount of time, but I am still a newbie. I have a lot of trouble with dwarf fortress, and I am asking for your help. I will also be chronicling my fortress's history in this thread.

my fortress was founded in the year 6

Entry 1:

Year 6, Late Autumn.

I decided to embark in a region with a volcano. I have created 3 magma smelters, and I have two 12 tile farms, producing plants for alcohol and pig tails. the dwarven merchants have just arrived, and I am going to trade them some raw meats and stone crafts in exchange for anvils and other materials I may end up needing. I was unfortunately unable to embark with anvils - due to only have steel anvils and limited points - so my metal industry has not yet begun. I have, however, prepared quite a few bars using my magma smelters.

Iron and Copper are abundant, so I will not be short on military materials and other metal products, I have a 2 person squad ready to be designated, as well as a uniform made that uses iron armor and swords with a copper shield.

Similarly to the metal ores, but with higher amounts of FUN, there are large amounts of giant and anthropomorphic badgers. I plan on creating some cage traps and weaponizing them in the near future.

My fortress has a dorm area made, as well as large, 6x12, 2 room housing for nobles carved out. I will also be giving each of the soldiers a 3x3 room in order to keep them happier.

I brought dogs and chickens with me for food. I also brought sheep for milk/cheese and wool, as well as meat once they start reproducing.

Something that could end up being a huge issue, is that I decided to embark with some cats. However, my plan is to keep 2 males in the food stockpile at all times in order to keep pests away, then have the rest in a special pen in the animal room. As soon as some females are born, the adult females are slaughtered, and the female kittens are kept. I feel that this should keep the catsplosions at bay.

Entry 2:

year 6, late winter.

the caravan brought a single steel anvil, which I bought in exchange for large amounts of crafts and some meat. I decided to buy some extra stuff, including a copper pick and some fish, as well as several cheap cages.

I immediately ordered my two metalworkers to create a magma forge, then create two iron anvils and build two more magma forges. I almost have ten sets of full iron armor made, and will soon have enough armor for my initial squad of ten military dwarves. The squad currently only has two dwarves in it, but I will likely be adding several more dwarves as soon as the next migrant wave comes.

the badgers seem to have left the map for now, and have been replaced by large amounts of turkeys and groundhogs. I am contemplating creating an animal trap and taming the turkeys as a new food source.

My war dog production has begun. and I have 3 war dogs now! I will be assigning them to military dwarves and important nobles once I have around 10.

food and alcohol production are at adequate levels, and the migrants are coming in at an acceptable pace.

Entry 3:

year 7, Mid-Spring.

We successfully outlasted the winter, and my fortress has reached a population of 36. My military is currently made up of 9 dwarves clad in a suit of armor made from chain shirts, chestplates, leggings, high boots, helmets, and gauntlets. They wield an iron sword and a copper shield.

my dog production is doing well so far. I am breeding them as fast as they can and am training them as soon as they reach adulthood. a few sheep have been born, but none have reached adulthood. no new litters of cats, which is a godsend. I also received two male and one female water buffalo from immigrants, which I decided to keep. the rest of the animals were slaughtered.

I plan on breaching the caverns after my military has been trained up a decent amount. the safe water source and the indoor pasture space will be very useful. I will station my military down there to hold off the creatures while my crafter-class dwarves build walls around the pastures in order to keep the beasts out.

I have began work on the hospital, and I'm working on making enough beds and tables for it, as well as about 3 traction benches. The cemetery is also finished, and has been placed right next to the hospital. No particular reason.

EDIT: shortly after posting this entry, one of my dwarves became possessed and made this:

Tatingish Mafol Tirdug, "TouchBodice the Chamber of Brutalizing", a cow bone amulet.

This is a cow bone amulet. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with cow bone.

value: 2400

Entry 4:

year 7, early summer.

A goblin snatcher was spotted just before it entered the main gate. My soldiers were not able to catch up with it, but the goblin ran off as soon as it was spotted.

The elven caravan came around, and I seized a breeding pair of cougars. I looked them up on the wiki, and learned that they can't be trained. I decided to do some modding, and I will soon have an army of war cougars.

I will be keeping my dogs, but they will function as watch dogs instead of war dogs from now on. They will be chained up at specific spots, and possibly assigned to nobles and legendary-status workers as protection.

my trek into the caverns has begun. I will be using chained war dogs to keep creatures away from the work area, and will have my military go hunting troglodytes and other weak cavern creatures.

Now, for my questions:

What is the best way to capture giant badgers and weaponize them?

Is it possible to use badgermen as a replacement for tigermen, or does their prone to rage feature make it impossible?

should I replace my chickens with turkeys?

Next entry in my forts history will come the next time something important happens, or enough small things have happened.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 06:44:17 pm by Sting_Auer »
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortress of Teshkadbim: A poor players fortress.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 09:01:43 pm »

turkeys in real life would be a bit better than chicken because(generally) turkeys are larger therefore more fat and meat. I would recommend that you have a mix.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 09:43:34 pm »

turkeys in real life would be a bit better than chicken because(generally) turkeys are larger therefore more fat and meat. I would recommend that you have a mix.

Oh, I don't breed them for meat! I use them entirely for eggs.

The weaker dogs are the ones who get butchered instead of trained and bred.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 12:22:44 am »

but...you're...wow. just wow. I really have nothing else to say...
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 09:58:28 am »

but...you're...wow. just wow. I really have nothing else to say...

...what? What's wrong? *grin*

But seriously, what's wrong?

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortress of Teshkadbim: A not-so-good players fortress.
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 05:06:41 pm »

Entry 3:

year 7, Mid-Spring.

We successfully outlasted the winter, and my fortress has reached a population of 36. My military is currently made up of 9 dwarves clad in a suit of armor made from chain shirts, chestplates, leggings, high boots, helmets, and gauntlets. They wield an iron sword and a copper shield.

my dog production is doing well so far. I am breeding them as fast as they can and am training them as soon as they reach adulthood. a few sheep have been born, but none have reached adulthood. no new litters of cats, which is a godsend. I also received two male and one female water buffalo from immigrants, which I decided to keep. the rest of the animals were slaughtered.

I plan on breaching the caverns after my military has been trained up a decent amount. the safe water source and the indoor pasture space will be very useful. I will station my military down there to hold off the creatures while my crafter-class dwarves build walls around the pastures in order to keep the beasts out.

I have began work on the hospital, and I'm working on making enough beds and tables for it, as well as about 3 traction benches. The cemetery is also finished, and has been placed right next to the hospital. No particular reason.

EDIT: shortly after posting this entry, one of my dwarves became possessed and made this:

Tatingish Mafol Tirdug, "TouchBodice the Chamber of Brutalizing", a cow bone amulet.

This is a cow bone amulet. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with cow bone.

Basic value: 2400

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 05:26:01 pm by Sting_Auer »

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 06:41:24 pm »

Entry 4:

year 7, early summer.

A goblin snatcher was spotted just before it entered the main gate. My soldiers were not able to catch up with it, but the goblin ran off as soon as it was spotted.

The elven caravan came around, and I seized a breeding pair of cougars. I looked them up on the wiki, and learned that they can't be trained. I decided to do some modding, and I will soon have an army of war cougars.

I will be keeping my dogs, but they will function as watch dogs instead of war dogs from now on. They will be chained up at specific spots, and possibly assigned to nobles and legendary-status workers as protection.

my trek into the caverns has begun. I will be using chained war dogs to keep creatures away from the work area, and will have my military go hunting troglodytes and other weak cavern creatures.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 08:01:52 pm »

You're supposed to kill slaughter the chickens for food! and your NOT supposed to slaughter the poor dogs! EVERYTHING IS BACKWORDS!
The Master has gone stark raving mad!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 08:04:29 pm »

You're supposed to kill slaughter the chickens for food! and your NOT supposed to slaughter the poor dogs! EVERYTHING IS BACKWORDS!
The Master has gone stark raving mad!

...why? eggs are a source of food that is easily mass produced and requires no micro management.

slaughtering chickens = high maintenance and gives tons of excess food.

harvesting eggs = low maintenance for less excess food.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 08:48:04 pm »

let me clarify, you slaughter the "plump and ripe" ones, and keep the rest. You don't slaughter them all at once.
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 09:36:18 pm »

let me clarify, you slaughter the "plump and ripe" ones, and keep the rest. You don't slaughter them all at once.

Meh. I get plenty of food from farms and eggs.

I think I'm fine lol.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 09:39:04 pm »

Nevermind... ::)
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 05:15:02 pm »

Nevermind... ::)

umm... okay?

Anyway, I can't make another entry any time soon. sorry :\