Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bins/Barrels...  (Read 713 times)

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bins/Barrels...
« on: July 20, 2007, 07:36:00 am »

Just started up DF once more after quite a while, and I'm currently playing the latest version...
Now, refresh my memory if I'm wrong, but aren't the dwarfs supposed to take advantage of bins/barrels and place other stuff in them? Cause right now I'm running a game where they apparently ignore placing my crafts in bins despite me having several free available. Same goes with food as well - I've got several barrels available, but despite that the dwarfs just throw the stuff directly on the storage floor.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bins/Barrels...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 07:47:00 am »

Check whether you have reserved barrels in the stockpile menu?

They wont use reserved barrels if you don't.
-
And they usually drop it on the storage floor, then someone fetches a bin, places THAT on the storage, then places stuff in.

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 07:47:00 am »

It might just be that the dwarves have not hauled the bins and barrels to the stockpiles to be used yet. I see that a lot, eventually they will take containers there and fill them.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 07:52:00 am »

Meh, scratch the barrels, that was just cause my dorfs were extremely busy hauling all sorts of junk around. The bin issue is still there though  :(

Got several non-reserved bins in my furniture stockpile that just sits there and a heckload of crafts all spread out in the finished goods stockpile right next to it...

Boogey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 12:13:00 pm »

And in that stockpile you have allowed the stockpile to use bins? If you have created the stockpile thru custom stockpile, it sets bins/barrels to 0.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 12:29:00 pm »

The stockpiles are all default and I already checked the number of allowed bins as well. It's set to max already. So yeah, I'm pretty clueless on what's going on.

I doubt that the furniture stockpile which holds the unused bins are supposed to have a value above 0 though, right? Although I did try and increase that as well, but as expected, nothing really happened.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 11:02:00 pm »

You do have furniture hauling enabled right? That is needed for the dwarves to move the bins. On the other hand your dwarves may simply be busy with other hauling tasks.

One way to check if a bin has been assigned to a stockpile but hasn't been moved yet is to k over the bins in your furniture pile, the name of an assigned bin will change to include the number of the stockpile it is assigned to, even if it has not yet been moved.

In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Remliel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 01:17:00 am »

Last time I checked, you couldn't bin furniture...

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 04:21:00 am »

Yah, obviously you can't do that...

Yes, furniture hauling is on otherwise all the other furniture would've been ignored as well, right?
No, the bins do not change names cause they're not assigned.
No, they do not ever get hauled (or assigned at all) to any other stockpiles.
Yes, dwarfs DO ignore them completely.

It's kinda annoying now really, and I've tried pretty much everything  :(

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 06:08:00 am »

*bump*

Boogey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 06:16:00 pm »

Could you zip'n'host savegames somewhere so we can give it a try?